Thread: 2 questions

Roush Guest

2 questions

1983 Buik Riviera, 308 cid

1) Drivers side window stuck in the down position. Motor probably failed, any sugestions getting it up, for now.

2) Running really rich, we need the number off the carburator to get a kit, does anyone know were to look for the number on the carb? or were the adjustment screw is for mixture,

Thanks guys

D

Most likley problem with your window is a broken wire where the bundle goes through the door. You can feel the wire through the rubber and see if it's broken, or peel it back and check.

There is a circular tag on the carb with a number on it.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Before going into the carb too far, you should check that you mechanical and vacuum advances are in good working order.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Roush Guest
    Let me refine my questions.

1) The window stoped working in cold weather after a few years of intermantancy. The track is sticky and dirty and the grease is dry. The motor is very weak. We just want to get the window up so we can move it. I have had the door apart and found limited work space and access to the assembly. Does anyone know any tricks, just to get the window up.

2) the carbuertor is a quadra Jet feed back model with enviromental choke. ( climactic control ) The spark plugs shows show heavy carbon deposits, and the idle is really fast. There are no visible broken componants. I may have misadjusted the carb myself, is anyone familiar with these model carbs and can explain how to ajust?

I aspologize for not being more specific at first, my hands were greasy and didnt want to mess up the keyboard
    Last edited by Roush; 05-06-2006 at 08:32 PM.

5. Does the car give a check engine light? Could be a throttle position sensor which is inside the carb itself.

86 T-TYPE (DARK BLUE METALLIC),
    87 TURBO T (GREY METALLIC),
    87 GRAND NATIONAL (CANADIAN MODEL),
    87 CENTURY LIMITED 2.8 HO (MY FAITHFUL LITTLE DRIVER)
    98 REGAL GS (THE OTHER BLOWN BUICK)
    95 PONTIAC TRANS AM (6-SPEED, 3.42 REAR)
    06 DODGE CHARGER R/T (WIFES VEHICLE)

http://community.webshots.com/user/vicious6

To get your window motor to go up turn on the key and hold down the up button at the switch and with a hammer tap ( hit ) the w/motor ( this helps get the motor to raise the glass up ) . Your carb. # is stamped on the carb. bowl at the left rear of the carb. ( most will start with a 12........ ) HTH Make sure your battery is charged !!
    Last edited by guyopel; 05-07-2006 at 06:32 AM.
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

Roush Guest
    Once again you all are great. Good help

We got the window up buy taping a screw driver placed on the motor through an access hole.

We got a code 23 from the computer and found a bad forward idle brake.

Pretty cool, I apriciate all your help. The Rivy rides again.

code 23 is an open mixture control solinoid, make sure you have a good connection. that's the two wire connection on top of the carb

Roush Guest
    Dad found a bad idle load compensator. The code 23 he did intentionally to make sure the control moduel was working.

We made great progress this weekend, the window is up, and the engine runs much smother.

The hard part now, is locating an IDLE LOAD COMPENSATOR. I have tried a dozen or so web sites including EBAY, we went to the dealer and tried parts finder with no luck.

Does anyone know a good place to search for this part without having to buy a whole new carbuerator. If any one has one laying around...email me, lets talk.

D,
    The carb number is stamped vertically on the carb on the same side as the throttle linkage. As far as finding the idle solonoid, I finally have had to start resorting to the local boneyard for some parts for my Wife's 84. Had to get a turn signal relay about a week ago and the only place I could find them was used My local dealer has been real good at searching, but struck out on the relay and I could not cross it to anything aftermarket.
    By the way, I dont think the solonoid will come with a new carb either.
    Bill Koustenis
    Advanced Automotive Machine
    Waldorf Md

Original owner:
    1971 Chevelle Heavy Chevy
    1984 Buick Riviera
    1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 4WD

Enginerepairshop.com