- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: rod bearings, main bearings info

rod bearings, main bearings info

Ok buick pimps and playas, and also pimpettes and playerettes, thats including u tom,, ur under the pimpettes lol jk.. muahs im just playing. BTW i shouldnt be mean to u tom, ur the only person on this website that answeres my insecure, brainless questions. Ok OK OK, down to buick business, today i was on ebay and i was checking out the 1955 and 1954 buick parts and since yesterday and today ive seen 3 different sets of rod bearing sets. These seem to be pretty nice parts and a pretty cheap price, 2 sets are federal mogul, the other one is a mcquay-norris set. Anyways like i have said recently, i have been collecting up parts here and there to construct my own personal and quality engine rebuild kit. I know how much these rod bearings can cost for the set, about 100 or so + -. Anyways i wanted to know what size i should be looking for. To start off with, my engine is the 265 v8. I really have no idea if my engine has been rebuild before. My guess is it hasnt but im not shure, i do know it sounds real real nice, runs fine with no problems, only downside of my engine i would say is it needs to be cleaned, maybe tuned up, and it needs new gaskets to seal her up. Shes kinda greasy. But other than that, the engine has been great to me. I really want to purchase one of these sets to add to my engine rebuild kit for future installation but i have no idea of what size to get? They have 3 sets, im going to list them one by one with info for each,, here we go

1. Mcquay-norris rod bearing set, for 54-55 264 v8, and 53-56 322v8, they are .030 size bearings? Im not shure what that means, but thats the only info i got.

2.Federal-Mogul- Main bearing set, the info is... part number 879 m (clevite number ms-172m) High quality set is standard undersize and contains bearings 1926 sb (4 pairs) and one 1928 sb. I just noticed that these might be different from the mcquar norris rod set? Im not shure anybody with any info help me out. NUmber one all it says is rod beaing set,, and all 2 and 3 say is the info i put and main bearing set? Are these the same?

3. Federal-Mogul main bearing set, the info is part number 879 M-2 (clevite number ms - 172m) Contains bearings 1926 sb-2 (4 pairs) and one 1928 sb-2. The only other info i got is it says these are .002 undersize.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated, like i said i dont believe my engine has been rebuilt in the past. Which of these would be better for me, and after looking at this info. i dont think number 1 is the same as 2 and 3> .. are rod bearings the same as main bearings? thanks guys, kc

kmc,

I don't know what you have gathered, but I would suggest that you consider waiting until you have torn the motor down before purchasing most of the parts. You don't know what over or undersize you may need until the engine has been dissassembled and inspected. One wrong purchase can cost!

Then I would recommend contacting these guys and asking about a "kit". Their stuff is good and when you buy a kit it usually saves you money.

If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Get a '56/322 & rebuild that while still driving the 264. You will enjoy the extra increase in performance.