Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why do you drive a classic?

Why are we drivin' em?

Ya know.....I've been asked that question so many times that I quit counting...I just don't have a really satisfactory answer! I think that it has something to do with "made in america" with everything from the raw materials to the finished product from here, put togather by just regular joes. As an engineer, I look at what was built and what it took to do it, I'm amazed!!! How'd they make a dime on these things? And the style...weather you love it or hate it, wait a year it'll be different! Detroit was not afraid to go out on a limb to try something. We collectivly bust our asses restoring these babys to levels well beyond the assembly line...Why? A honda, heck, any jap car, makes way more sense....Face it guys, these cars have one serious undefinable quality, MAGIC. No other word for it, and I'm diffinatly not immune to it. Why do I go through it just to roll down the road in one of these babys, I don't know. alleycat

The Old is New!

I am 26 yearold that has a 90% complete 56 Special HT. The reason why I am working my *** off to make this car a reality is because there is nothing on the road that looks like these old cars. Every car that is less then 15 years old looks the same. These cars where built in a time where owning a car was special and each car was loved. I am looking to spend my cars 50th year on the road. Thanks for all the help everyone has given me.

Thumbs up Why I drive em....

For me, it's because I have ALWAYS loved the 1940s and eraly 50s!

I'm only 30 yrs old, but I'll tell ya, I have almost nothing in common with people my age at all,....unless they're an 20-something 30 something yr. old guy or gal that was born at the wrong time like myself. I've had more friends above the age of 70 than below the age of 30! I can talk witha WWII vet and as weird as it is, I can remember two WWII vets on seperate occasions stop at one popint as we were talkinag about WWII, cars and music, **** their head to the side, and say, "were you in WWII?" or "were you around then??...boy you looks too young??!!" LOL! I took it as a compliment!!

Heck, when the other kids in school in the first grade were listening to the knack and songs like "hey mickey!"....I was listening to "Pennsylvania 6-5000, Elmer's tune, Shoo-shoo baby," by people like Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, The Andrew Sisters or Gene Krupa! I even remember that we used to have this time every week where you'd bring in 45 records and play them during "play time"...I brought one in one time and the other kids (and the teacher) thought I was nuts! I think it was glen miller, then I brought in the beatles (about one of the newst things i had been listening to..lol) and they still thought I was weird. Cool!

So for me, its definitely connecting to a time that I still kinda live in. My house was built in 1910, decorated deco and some modern early 50's and I have a Wurlitzer jukebox in my dining room,...yeah it works! I also try and catch the old radio shows on my Philco or Zenith Cathedral radio being re-broadcast out of Canada every night at 11pm-2AM on 900 AM. It's nice to fall asleep to the sounds of the Great Gildersleeve or The Shadow. My personal favorite is the Jack Benny Show.....that guy was great!

So, yeah, I'll drive my '50 GMC or '53 Buick (basically our family car)in my cuffed Levis 501's in a pair of Chuck Taylor's, hair slicked, with the likes of Johnny Cash, Slim Whitman, or the Gin Palace Jesters blairing from the speakers as I'm ridin' down the road.

Old is the new "NEW" and don't be surpised when Pomps come back soon too! I've actually had more people (more women than guys thank GOD!) ask me how I get my hair to "do that??".....I have to chuckle a little everytime I hear it, then i answer, "its brought to you by the magic of a little thing called POMADE!" Of course 99% of the time, they look like a deer caught in the headlights at that point! LOL!!

Jason

PS. "(w)Rap Christmas presents, not music!"
    Last edited by Coal Town Kid; 05-04-2006 at 03:26 PM.

chevo Guest

Portland, Maine???

Naw Bob, South Congress in Austin, Texas.....

Chevo

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron65 View Post
    I'm 29, but I've been working on cars since I was 11 (my Mustang). I just hate new stuff. I can tell you the year, make, and model of almost any car built since 1930. I had my 1st pedal car when I was 2. I have a room in my house filled with old car advertising and toys. My wife and mom say I'm an old man trapped in a young man's body, but I'll always own as many old cars as I can afford...I love ALL old cars and I just am not sure why! I can tell you one thing...listening to a 6 volt starter cranking a motor over sure has more soul than a whiny gear reduction starter on a Camry.

WOW you are very determined to work with a car for so long! Are you glad with all the work you have already done? I am going to make a Buick Electra from late 60. and I am scared a little because it requires a lot of work...