Thread: 1953 Buick Super Fender Skirts!! Frustration!

Question 1953 Buick Super Fender Skirts!! Frustration!

Ok,...I ordered a pair from Agape Auto,...didn't fit well,...contours were off. No problem.

Got a pair of originals from a guy at Carlisle a few days ago,....NICE!! However the old "cam-type" system of attaching them is,..well,...no other way to put it,..

DAMN STUPID!!

There's NO WAY these things will stay on,...in fact if i give them a good bump, they come loose!! YEOW! NOT COOL!!!

So before I modify them by removing the old cam style system of securing them (I use that terminology loosly,...no pun intended!!) and get down to modifying them,....does anyone here in buick land have any suggestions or have anything they can share abot maybe the same experience and how to overcome this??

Thanks!
    Jason

The fender skirt cams are only part of the mounting system. You need the parts that fasten inside the fender well. See if you can find an old Cad Or Olds if you can't find a Buick with fender skirts to look at, you should be able to make them pretty easy.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Really?? Hmmm,...interesting! Can anyone help here?? thanks in advance!! I'm going to call the guy I got the skirts from and see if he has any, etc. I'm a welder so I'd be able to fab something up, I just need to know "what" to make and "where" to place them.

J

hardware

I got a contact that sells skirts and all the hardware, I'll post it tommorrow when I get to work where I have the info. ~T~

Lightbulb

THAT would be great! Also, an update on this....

I called the guy who I bought these from and told him my dilemma. He said they were not Foxcraft skirts but taht they were actaully Buick's skirts that were an offered accessory. However, I have recently been told by three different Buick collectors, etc. that there never were any skirts made from buick for the year of 1953, because in the buick accessory cataloge of 1953 there are none offered anywhere??!!

Jason

dresses for your girlfriend

http://www.bigjims.net/ Give this a try, I got some parts for my skirts from him. Let us know if it works out. ~T~

Question Update! With pics of fender skirts!

Help identify the manufacturer of my fender skirts (makers such as Foxcraft, etc.) so I can get a set of inner fender clips so I can run these on my '53 Buick Super!! If I can either get a pair of originals or fabricate a set, just so I can get these on the car! Thanks in advance!

Jason

here are more pics of these,....

Jason

Those are factory Buick skirts. I was a Buick mechanic years ago and removed many of these to change tires or work on brakes etc. There was a sheet metal clip that I believe may have bolted to the fender lip at the wheelwell opening. I never paid much attention to the bracket itself but know I had to make sure the clips went into it.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS