- Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: Ignition upgrade question

johnnymath360 Guest

Ignition upgrade question

Hi!

I am re-working the ignition and electrical on my 71 skylark 350, and I need a few questions answered, The electrical is COMPLETELY stock, down to the plugs, all except for the alternator, which had burned out...

I am planning on dumping my stock points for a GM HEI from Poston, I hear from one side, that the HEI units are reliable and provide the best performance, but from the other side I hear that they are unreliable, and a billet or upgraded or newly manufactured points system are better...

What would be my best option, and are there any other makers of the GM HEI?

Would buying a mallory or MSD upgrade kit remove the inconsistency?

Second question: I am in need of new plugs and wires (all stock), what are my best options? I am looking at the MSD super conductors and champion spark plugs, but I know there has to be a better product out there...

And finally: Any tips or tricks?, I have removed distributors before, but I have only dealt with points and some nasty stuff on an old hudson

thanks much

Both your current points and the newer HEI systems are good.

The HEI gives you a little more "shot". You could open the gaps on your plugs a bit with it, say to .045". You should then upgrade to 8mm plug wires.

When choosing a distributor from a "junk yard" make sure the shaft is tight. Don't use one with a worn shaft. Shim the end play to something like .005". Using nice stock cap rotor, 8mm plug wires and plugs should do you just fine. Before you drop the distributor in you might get it curved or you can do it yourself afterwards.

http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/engine_timing.html
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

ignition upgrade

You could also try www.davessmallbodyheis.com he installs them in your existing distributor.

Buick ignition upgrade for 350

I have a 72 Gran Sport 350 and have had good luck with new Mallory Distributors. There is plenty of wear in the old shafts so why take a chance with a 35 year old original. Spend a few bucks on a new distributor, high output coil and the best wires you can afford and be worry free for as long as you own the car. You can experiement with the spark plug gap to take advantage of the increased spark.

Gary Martin
    72 GS 350
    68 Riv 430 GS