- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power plant swap

69 grand sport Guest

power plant swap

has anybody ever dropped a big block buick into a 70-72 el-camino?

Yes, i have, However the application was much different then what your going for. It was a 1968 elco on a 75 blazer chasis with 36" super swampers. I had a little more room to work with then you will, but what was your specific question?
    -jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

69 grand sport Guest

what will have to be done

i was told that the motor mounts on the frame of a chevy that is a small block to begin with will work and a big block buick will drop right in ..it was suggested to use solid motor mounts to ease installation ...what did you have to do?

I don't know if this will help in your case, but I'm putting a 455 in a Chevy Nova and I am using the motor mounts from the Skylark I got it out of so I'll have better mounts to handle the torque!
    When I set it down in the Nova it was really close to fitting the originals, but when it comes down to what's gonna be the best install ORIGINAL BUICK is the way to go for BBB!!!
    Hope this helps or gives you an alternative , at least!!?
    jammon455
    1973 Nova ,455 Buick (462 c.i.).........
    1972 Chevy Impala, 383 Stroker, Lunati this,Lunati that!! "Street" Radials........

69 grand sport Guest

hey hows it going

I seen your post in a section of this web site.. i was told by jim burke of p.a.e if its a small block to begin with it will drop in when you say it was close ,did you try to actually bolt up or did you mock up to check clearances for the install? and as for torque its a 400 i dont think it will break them if it becomes a issue i will just weld the mounts to the frame the part about this is i hear its a common thing for buick guys that have spare bbb and have a elky to drop the bbb into it for a hauler with some grunt i can think of four guys off the top of my head that have done this but i have no way to contact them ..so somebody out there knows what to do

I'll catch ya' sooner or later?!!!!

Yep, we are mocking it up to get the best clearances because the ol' Nova isn't exactly a Skylark, LOL!!!!!!!!!! It really looked like it was gonna go right in, but............stock mounts just not far enough apart. I think it may be different in your case for the Elcom. My Nova is a 73' but I really don't think anything was changed THAT much from 72' to 73'. Hope the best for you, but as for me.....It was NOT a direct bolt-in, but dang close!! We are gonna complete the measurements and weld the bottom solid mounts where we will have maximum clearances even if it means I have to go to an electric fan!!! Will post some pics later if I remember!!
    jammon455
    1972 Chevy Impala, 383 Stroker, Lunati this,Lunati that!! "Street" Radials........

69 grand sport Guest

what about the shock towers?

since the buick is wider than a s.b.c and when upgradeing to bbc you need a mustang 2 front end for the swap how was the clearances for the shock towers ?its pretty tight for even a sbc hopefully your useing solid motor mounts on the motor

Shock towers weren't a problem! Did you say you're installing a 400? I don't really know the dimensions of a 400, but the 455 in the Nova's NOT going to be as hard as having to switch to a Stang II front end (or Pinto works too!!) or anything else, so far! because there is NO distributor in the rear of a 70' 455 BBB..........it fits MUCH better than a BBC and the 400 TH has been known to fit anywhere a 350 TH will fit. It's all a matter of the tailshaft and driveshaft tweaking.
    The ONLY problem that arised as we were installing it was the windshield wiper motor and we just tilted it to clear !!
    Have you tried to install yet? I mean.......just for measurements?
    jammon455

Did you say you're installing a 400?

doesn't matter. the Buick 400, 430 and 455 are all the same dimensions externally.

because there is NO distributor in the rear of a 70' 455 BBB..........it fits MUCH better than a BBC

true dat.

the 400 TH has been known to fit anywhere a 350 TH will fit.

use a short tail TH400 and i think you can use the TH350 drive shaft. a long tail TH400 is, what, ~4-5 inches longer than the TH350? (you'da thunk i'da measured the housings when i did that 'ID your auto tranny' post) so that would require messing with things quite a bit.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

69 grand sport Guest

no not yet

i just pulled the sbc yesterday (that wasnt very pleasant do to weather
    conditions) i was going to try today but i decided to sit on it till next weekend and the reason why i was wondering about the install because
    i was going to install a 455 in a 64 nova it was a pretty tight fit even for the sbc but given we would had to install a mustang front end to get the 455 to fit we scrap the project given the cost of the install but dont feel left out i got a 70 nova and i was going to stuff a bbb into it in the near future got a stage 2 engine ready for the install even...but the elky is a priority not the nova and this is the actual first attempt to install a bbb into any chevy for me