Thread: 1955 buick floor pan replacement or repair?

1955 buick floor pan replacement or repair?

ON my 55 buick i dont really have alot of rust, it was mostly surface rust. I do believe at one time before i owned the car, that the heater leaked some water inside the cabin, mainly on the floors of course. Also considering that over a 50 yr span ur weather stripping gets old and leaks ect ect. I recently checked the floor pans. Lifted up the old stinky carpet and even i didnt have rust thru as in holes ect ect. They are pretty bad looking. Some of the rust has ate parts of it up, and its like rust, when u nock on it its dull. Kinda reminds me of termite infested wood. Now, I have seen a pretty cheap and good looking sets or individual pan sets here on the internet. Its 18 gauge and there cheaper than any other company i have seen. I think each pan is like 50 bucks max.. which is good compared to cars inc who charge almost 100 bucks each. I believe u can do the whole floor for under 5 bills. I do not have any experience in welding or cutting. Even tho i think with practice and the right tools im shure over time i could learn how to. Maybe event ake a non credit class here at my college. Does anybody have any advice or expriences with this? I have alot of unused parts and interior trim that im collecting up, but i refuse to put them on the car right now because it will just get bad. I also have seen these kits thru bill hersch and others who have like 15 part set of diffent fillers, rust preventatives and other chemicals and tools that will basically fix these floor pans? Has anybody ever used these? Are these made for minor problems? Or can my car use this after the info i gave about the condition of the pans? Any advice.. someone pls help me. Its hot down here and texas and im ready to fix her up. I have been wating for the cold and reain to stop, so im ready.. someone help me out.. much love to tha buick gods!! kc

rusted floors

KMC
    go into google and lookup '41 buick' under 'Matts Buick' and in his site it shows how he learned to weld up his floor pans.

Exclamation welding

Hey KMC

Doing the welding school thing is a worthwile investment.

Welding sheetmetal is tricky and requires the right set-up.

If too hot the sheetmetal tends to warp.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861