• Categories

• BCA

The Buick Club of America is a non-profit membership corporation dedicated to the preservation and restoration of those vehicles built by the Buick Motor Division of General Motors Corporation.

Membership Includes:
    - Monthly issue of “The Buick Bugle” published by the BCA
    - Advertising privileges in “The Buick Bugle” for Buick-related items
    - Participation in all club events
    - Opportunity to join chapters, regions and divisions
    - Membership card and one BCA decal (new members only)
    - Includes spouse and minor children
    Join Today!
  • Help Promote TeamBuick.com

• Stubborn Dowel Pin Removal

STUBBORN DOWEL PIN REMOVAL

Most of the time, you can pull a dowel pin easily with the right tool like a Cal-Van Tools 95400 In-Line Dowel Pin Puller Master Set.

But, when the tool doesn't work, you get desperate. Most will either heat the pin and let it cool, or weld something to it and let it cool. This usually works.

But, I had a problem which had a solve that I thought I would share. The motor wasn't a Buick, it was a 426 hemi. The motor like many 426's had been around the block... It had 8 sleeves, so you know it had a history. The builder wanted it decked because one of the sleeves sat a little low. The dowel pins had to come out. My efforts on all 4 pins went unrewarded, so I decided the only option was to drill them out. ( I have never had a problem once you decide to weld on a nut, but these just twisted off )

I decided to build a simple jig to make the job work well. Because it is a problem most of us will never run into, I thought I would share it. You will need a lathe to do this!

The jig was made from an 1 1/4" piece of 1 3/8" shaft. These are random dimensions, what you need is a piece long enough to keep your drill straight and large enough in diameter to sit squarely on the block. I drill a "B" (.238") hole through the shaft, then relieved the block end to 1/4" for about 3/8".

I then tapped the jig over what was left of the dowel pin, put in a drop of oil for drill lube and lined up my hand drill. When you pull the trigger, you can hear when you have best alignment. You can then drill through until you feel the drill go through or start to go through the end of the dowel pin. Remove the jig, and either pull the pin, or use the drill to pull the pin.

Comments 1 Comment
      telriv -
      What I normally do, especially with the threaded oil galley plugs is to heat the pin/galley plug/block hot enough to melt wax from a candle. It does NOT need to be red only hot enough to melt the wax. In some cases you will have to melt the wax inside some kind of sleeve so the wax will not run all over. Let it cool for hours. While it's all cooling the ax will wick it's way down any voids it can get to. Once cool you will just about be able to emove them with your fingers. Been working for me for 50+ years.
      Try it, I'm sure you'll like it.

Tom T.
  • Upcoming Events

• LOC001

• Album Random Picture

DSC03483
    DSC03483 by jackinvicta
    More...
TeamBuick.com Privacy Policy