PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Gasket Question

Nailhead_Sled
08-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Does anybody know what size donut gasket was used on the manifold to head pipe flange?

Judd
08-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Nailheadsled

The 56 doesn't have a doughnut the exhaust pipe has ball ends that fit in the manifold and muffler. I'm not sure about other years.

Judd

Nailhead_Sled
08-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Cheers Judd, spent the day yesterday messing with all the little stuff that comes loose from 'having fun' with the car. I was miffed as to the cause of the constant exhaust leak. Turns out I had a broken rear shock mount. The shock had wedged itself underneath the exhaust pipe causing the pipe to bounce around thus craking a few of the welds/joints in the system and loosening off the manifold bolts.
Also put in the new motor mounts- what a difference, ZERO vibrations in the car when driving. Was ready to drop in the new springs, but by that time the BBQ was fired up and the rest is history.
I did learn one little trick though:- When replacing motor mounts, there are two holes drilled in the crossmember to allow one to insert a socket on the motor mount lower bolts and thus expedite removal (of course I found this out after I had messed around with a wrench for an hour!)

Judd
08-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Phil
I changed one mount and waited 6 months to do the other then discovered the holes doing the second mount! I sand blasted the recored radiator from my parts car this morning and primed it waiting 20 minutes for spot puddy to dry so I can paint it. I need to get it in tomorrow so I can test it before the road trip to Chicago Friday.