PDA

View Full Version : Re; Removable of Sludge in Oil

Tom Gallagher
07-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Fellow Buick Enthusiasts,

I have a 56 Buick Special with a 322 Nailhead.
The Engine Turns over and Fires. The Car has Been Sitting Idle since 1970. I have to straighten out the Kinks in the Fuel System. to get the motor to run Efficiently and get it up to Operating Temperature, so I can Drain and Change the Oil.
Do Any of You Buick Nailheaders have and Home Remidies as to Thin Out and Remove any/all Oil Sludge Build-Up

malc
07-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Tom,
Do you really just want to get the engine up and running in order to get all the crap out which has been building up since 1970? Really, I would drain what I could as it is, then take the engine out and completely strip it down. Take the opportunity to check out the mains and big ends, rings and bores, and valve springs, which will be at best weak after being unused for 34 yrs. Clean every oilway with rifle barrel brushes (including the crank oilways), give the water passages a good flushing and fit new freeze plugs, and put it all back together with the best gaskets you can afford. Even if you have to replace bearings, rings, and valve springs, the cost will not be huge, and you know you can rely on the engine after that. Honest, you'll be much happier
Best of luck,
Malc graemlins/thumbsup.gif