PDA

View Full Version : need help m

kampoy72
03-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I have a 1972 skylark custom with no engine or trans.My father has a 67 olds delmont 88 with a 425 4 barrel carb.do you think the complete powertrain with all brackets would fit the skylark.

bob k. mando
03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
72 is the first year that Buick coded the engine in the VIN. this will probably go easier if your car was originally a Buick big block car.
http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/72/72_vin.html

even so, i'm sure you'll need new engine mounts, frame pads and wiring harness. probably need to alter or replace your fan shroud as well. Olds starter is on the drivers side, distributor is at the back of the engine. both are opposite to either the Buick big or small blocks.

also, the trans is likely to be problematic. the Skylark is a mid size A-body ( 115" wheelbase ) while the 88 is definitely a full size B-body ( 123" wheelbase ) car. you've probably got a long tail TH-400 which would require a custom trans mount / cross member and a shorter drive shaft.

kampoy72
03-15-2012, 08:59 PM
my vin starts with 444 what does mean

kampoy72
03-15-2012, 09:32 PM
My vin starts with 4443712 .the title says 72 but according to the vin decoder it was made in 71 is this correct the vin is the same in the dash and title

bob k. mando
03-15-2012, 10:22 PM
4 44 37 1 2
4 = Buick
44 = Skylark Custom
37 = 2 dr midsize hardtop
1 = invalid engine code
2 = 1972
? = production plant code not supplied
?????? = serial number not supplied, production should have started with 100001

production for each "model year" starts around July-Sept of the preceding calendar year, that's true even today. so, yes, it's quite possible that your 72 has a 1971 build date.

you look to have a VERY early build though, as they didn't use the proper letter code for the model. instead they used the "44" code that indicated a Skylark Custom in 1971. there's definitely an error ( whether through improper stamping at the factory or your transcription ) in that VIN though. that should be a letter at the engine coding space not a numeral. and there was NO engine code for either "1", "I" or "l / lower case L", so there isn't even anything for you to have confused it with.

here's the official GM Vin cards if you'd like to see for yourself:
http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard72.pdf

kampoy72
03-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Went out to the car.The number is 444371z1

kampoy72
03-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Hi guys just finished pulling out the engine and tras out of the 67 delmont .Tomorrow I will start to see where the motor is going to sit ,what motor mounts im going to need ,also what exhaust I will need. trans crossmember.Any ideas

raycow
03-16-2012, 07:07 PM
The 2nd gen (64-up) Olds engines all have their block mounting holes in the same place, so use regular F-85/Cutlass frame brackets and rubber mounts. For the TH400 rear mount you can move the stock Skylark crossmember back and drill new holes in the frame rails if they aren't there already. Check the fit of the Olds U-joint in the Buick rear. If it fits (and I believe it should), have the Olds driveshaft shortened afer you get the engine and transmission bolted down.

The only hard part might be the exhaust because the 425 Olds is taller than the 330/350. If 350 parts won't fit, you will have to find real 442 stuff.

As already pointed out, you will have to make some changes in the wiring because of the location of the starter, alternator, distributor, oil and temp senders, etc.

Ray

kampoy72
03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanyou for the info,that really makes me happy.I know I should have gone with a buick engine but my dad gave this ,I dont have that much money to buy buick but I will save some and maybe I can trade it for a buick.thank everybody for helping me.This th400 has a two wire connector on it I know one is for the kickdown the other is for what .Do you guys know

bob k. mando
03-16-2012, 07:29 PM
The number is 444371z1

ah. that's a problem. not for the engine swap but for your identification of the car.

the VIN says that your car is a 1971 model year and does NOT code the original engine.

4 44 37 1 z 1
4 = Buick
44 = Skylark Custom
37 = 2dr hardtop
1 = 1971
z = Fremont, CA
1 = first digit of 6 digit sequential production number

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/71/71_vin.html

kampoy72
03-16-2012, 08:03 PM
The number is 444371z1

ah. that's a problem. not for the engine swap but for your identification of the car.

the VIN says that your car is a 1971 model year and does NOT code the original engine.

4 44 37 1 z 1
4 = Buick
44 = Skylark Custom
37 = 2dr hardtop
1 = 1971
z = Fremont, CA
1 = first digit of 6 digit sequential production number

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/71/71_vin.html
The number on the title and the vin are the same you think mvd made a mistake on the year.so its a 71..What about the engine code how can I know what engine it used to have.Im going to have to go to mvd to check on that

bob k. mando
03-16-2012, 09:36 PM
on the 1971 and earlier cars you pretty much have to find the build sheet in the car someplace and see what option code is listed for the engine.

there is a difference in the steering column rag joint between the big block and small block cars but i'm not sure where there's a picture reference for you to look at.

it does appear as though the Skylark Custom was ONLY available with a Buick 350 this year though, the 455 seems to have only been available to the GS:
http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/71/71_engine_number.html

bob k. mando
03-16-2012, 09:48 PM
build sheets:
http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/bldsht.htm

rag joints:
http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/BBBshaft.htm

conversion from SBB to BBB, may be helpful for you:
http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/conversi.htm

raycow
03-16-2012, 10:38 PM
This th400 has a two wire connector on it I know one is for the kickdown the other is for what .Do you guys know

I think 67 still had a variable pitch stator, so that is likely what it is for.

Ray

bob k. mando
03-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Olds transmissions:
http://442.com/oldsfaq/oftrn.htm#Transmissions

raycow
03-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks to Mr. Mando for the transmission link. This section explains the switch pitch feature (I mistakenly called it variable pitch) in more detail.
http://442.com/oldsfaq/oftsp.htm#SP

It also mentions another point I completely forgot about. For a time during the 60s, full-size Oldsmobiles drove their speedometers from the left front wheel instead of the transmission, but I don't know what the exact year range was. I know 63 did for sure, because I had a 63 Starfire that I converted to manual.

You will have to crawl under your 67 and check where the speedo cable runs to. If it drives off the front wheel, you may need to install a gear in the transmission. There should already be a plug in the tail housing where the driven gear would normally go. Remove that plug and shine a light into the hole so you can see if there is a drive gear on the output shaft. If there isn't, you will have to disassemble the transmission far enough to install the gear. This isn't terribly difficult, but I recommend that you don't start the disassembly unless you have a shop manual available for reference. If you don't feel up to this job, I would think almost any transmission shop should be able to handle it.

Ray

kampoy72
03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi guys THANKYOU for all the info.I cleaned the engine and trans.Replace the valve cover,oil pan and intake gaskets painted the engine.Bought the engine mounts started to install the engine but something came up so I stop.From what the frame pads look like they are different then the ones on the pictures from that article Mr Mando sent me . the frame pads on mine look a little different but I think they can work,I just have to moved them forward but maybe just two holes will line up on each pad.Maybe I can place the pads on the mounts place engine on the frame mark and drill a new hole toward the front.As for the intermidiate shaft its the same as the 455 vehicles its got a bolt end shaft.I will try tomorrow again will post pictures soon.Once again THANKYOU!!!!

kampoy72
03-18-2012, 08:15 PM
I also checked the speedo cable its on the left front wheel on the 67 .I will start to look into the transmission to see if somebody makes a kit for it

raycow
03-18-2012, 08:23 PM
It sounds like you might be trying to use the B-body Olds frame brackets on the A-body crossmember. If you use the correct year A-body Olds brackets, the holes should already be there for them.

There won't be a kit for the transmission as such. You will need to install a stock TH400 drive gear on the output shaft if it doesn't already have one. If the gear is already on the shaft, you will only need a stock driven gear and housing to match your axle ratio and tire size.

Ray

raycow
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
I just now re-read what you wrote about the mounts, and I think I read it wrong the first time. By any chance, are you trying to use the stock Buick frame brackets?

Ray

kampoy72
03-18-2012, 08:32 PM
the frame pads were already on the buick.The mounts I bought were for a 72 olds cutlass 455 they did fit on the engine.They also fit over the frame pads.The B mounts didtnt have frame pads,it only had engine mounts .I will go tomorrow to the parts store to see the ones for the 70 A body frame pads see if they are different

kampoy72
03-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes since they were on the buick already/ops

kampoy72
03-29-2012, 10:44 PM
I finally place the engine in the car.Now I am looking for exhaust manifolds to fit the car.the ones from the delmont dont fit.I was reading that maybe I can used the passenger side by capping off one outlet,can that be done.Also I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who helped me with my project.The transmission is in just need to send the drive shaft to get it cut and welded.I cant wait to start the vehicle and drive it .it still needs some interior work but I will drive it the way it is.SKYLARKS are bad _ _ s.

raycow
03-31-2012, 04:02 AM
I would recommend that you keep on looking for the correct A-body manifolds. These will probably end up costing less than having custom pipes made to fit the Delmont manifolds.

Lacking that, would the Delmont manifolds work any better if you swapped sides? I was thinking that you might be able to use the bottom flange (where the crossover formerly connected) for the outlet and block off the original outlet on the end.

Ray

kampoy72
05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi guys .I finally got some olds A body engine frame pads with matching motor mounts,headers.I didnt have time to work on my car since the last time I logged in.I want to say THANKYOU again for all the info.I will try to post some pics when I install the parts I bought.

raycow
05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Hi guys .I finally got some olds A body engine frame pads with matching motor mounts,headers.

That's great news. It sounds like you have a lot of the hard stuff taken care of now. This should leave you only the wiring and linkages to deal with. Were you able to find out any more about the speedo drive (in the transmission)?

Ray