PDA

View Full Version : 66 Wildcat Engine Swap

NewB
04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I have this 66 Wildcat GS convertible and need some advice on what to do. I've had the car for five years now and really want to do something with it. It's had a full body off restoration and also new interior and top. The paint is kinda bad but oh well that can be fixed. My main problem is with the engine. It has a 425 nailhead. I took it out and had it bored out 60 over and completely rebuit the thing. The engine was in my friends garrage when hurricane Katrina came through. It was completely flooded and locked up, and has been sitting in the same spot ever since. So I was thinking the whole thing is probably rusted out and shot by now. I don't know the extent of the damage but I'm sure it's pretty bad. My question is should I check it out and see if it can be saved? If it needs to be machined more can I go any more than 60 over? Also I'm thinking of just buying a crate motor and dropping in the car cause it would be much easier... What motors should I look at that would be applicable with my car?

bob k. mando
04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
What motors should I look at that would be applicable with my car?

i don't believe any engines share the Nailhead bell bolt pattern so you'd either have to replace the trans with the crate motor or buy an adapter plate.

i believe all the wiring harnesses for a Nail are also quite different than a Chevy.

The engine was in my friends garrage when hurricane Katrina came through. It was completely flooded and locked up, and has been sitting in the same spot ever since.

ouch. thinking of joining my procrastinators club? :D

did it get flooded with salt water? if so, that's REALLY bad. you might get away without too much damage if it was mostly fresh.

have you tried pulling the spark plugs and spraying in WD-40 or Marvels Miracle Oil or anything?

it may be an exercise in pure frustration but if it was me i'd have to tear it down myself just to know for sure.

telriv
04-03-2007, 07:39 PM
That engine was history when it got bored .060" oversize. The cylinder walls are soo thin that block would have flexed like crazy & wouldn't have lasted anyway. In the Buick Chassis Manual it states that a 425 shouldn't be bored more than .010". I have seen them bored .030" but that was after sonic testing to be safe. Most won't go that far without problems down the road, usually sooner than later. Maybe Kratina did you a favor. I would completely tear it down just to see if there are any salgavable parts & go from there.
Just my nickels worth.

Tom T.