Which parts to rebuild my 1941 248

jaMAIKa

Good morning from Germany.

I will rebuild my 248 an look for an overhaul kit in good Quality.
( I dont need the Camshaft and Cylinderhead parts )
At ebay.com is cheaper than egge or Kanter, but are they different qualities ?
Where would you buy ?

Greets Maik

Good morning from Germany.

I will rebuild my 248 an look for an overhaul kit in good Quality.
( I dont need the Camshaft and Cylinderhead parts )
At ebay.com is cheaper than egge or Kanter, but are they different qualities ?
Where would you buy ?

Greets Maik

Maik-

One bit of information that may be helpful: If your 248 was built in model year 1948 or earlier, the connecting rods have a big end bearing that is babbitt-lined, bonded directly to the rod and cap. If your 248 was built in 1949 or later, the rods use "insert" bearings, which can be sized to match any machining required for the crankshaft. What this means is that, with an older 248, you will need either (1) to find a shop that will pour and fininsh babbitt in your existing rods to the size that is correct for your crankshaft (used crankshafts typically need of machining that will produce undersized journals); or (2) replace the 1948 or earlier connecting rods with later rods that use insert bearings. Any overhaul kit that you find must address these facts, or it will be useless.

THX for your answer.
My Engine ist from 1941 with insert bearings ( 010 oversize ) i think someone has change the Rods.
Pistons i need the last size ( 060 )
My question is, where have good quality ?
Did they sell the same parts for different prices or are there quality differences?

jaMAIKa-
Your question about quality is very difficult to answer. Sellers of the overhaul kits are seldom the makers of all of the included parts. Some manufacture none of the parts in the overhaul kit.
I was generally very satisfied with the parts supplied to me when I rebuilt a 263 Buick eight several years ago. But I did not order a kit from one place. My pistons came from Egge, and have been fine. (But some commenters on this site don't like their product.) The main and rod bearings also came from Egge, as did the piston rings. (But those were supplied, not manufactured, by Egge.) The gaskets all came from American manufacturers that have been in successful businesses for decades. None-wear items like like frost plugs and paint I bought from whoever had what I was looking for. I had machine work on the head done locally, and merely asked the business to use necessary replacement parts (valves, springs, and keepers) from trusted suppliers.
What does this response tell you? I think it means that you should ask any supplier of parts to tell you exactly who manufactured those parts. If it was made in the USA by a business with decades of success, it is probably of good quality. If a part came from a no-name entity, it is far less likely to be of good quality. If the supplier does not tell you who made the product, or identifies a source with no quality history (or perhaps no history at all, find another supplier.

I am currently having the 1948 248 ci. engine in my 1940 Super rebuilt. I purchased the majority of my parts from Terrill machine in Texas.
I found the prices to be most reasonable and Feltz Terrill answers the phone himself. I purchased insert rods from him (exchange.) I filled in
with a few parts from Bob's and Cars, and a NOS Oil Pump repair kit from EBay. My rebuilder is very meticulous and he found all the parts satisfactory. About a week after the parts were delivered, I received a small Priority Mail package. It contained my paperwork, a 1 lb. bag of peanuts, and a thank you!

Terrill Machine, Inc.
1000 Co Rd 454, De Leon, TX 76444

Phone: (254) 893-2610

Back