value of keeping 51 special original vs 12 volt upgrade

hivetool

am wondering if its worth it to upgrade to 12 volt for starting issues/dependability vs keeping it all original? car is complete and nice but I want to drive it not show it
it will never be a show piece. its a model 41D, the most popular 51, buick sold 81k of em?

A lot of opinions. I changed on my 1950 and have never regretted doing so. Need do nothing that cannot be changed back. No fancy kits needed. With a couple spacers the alternator can be mounted on the original bracket. If the increased amps and stability is not needed, use a 12V generator from a later car. Change all bulbs. Resistor for the gas gage. All wiring will be heavy enough as 12V wire is smaller than 6V. Starter does not have to be changed. Most will last for years.

Ben

I have had several 6 volt cars over the years. The biggest issue I have had is poor charging as generators need constant hi rpm to do much of anything towards keeping the battery up. Six volt alternators have worked well for me. Group 2 battery and keep your plugs gapped at 25 to 30. You will lose life on your starter especially if you need to crank a lot on 12 volt. If you have a reasonably sound motor and it’s tuned correctly you should be fine. Going to 12 volts may be only masking symptoms. Also, today’s gas will evaporate from a carb bowl in a week. 6 volt electric fuel pump for priming purposes can fix that.

just my experience/opinion

If you are not running a show car, no need to worry about loss of value. Most driver quality Buicks of the end of the I-8 era don't have a lot of value to start with, and a 12 Volt conversion is not likely to do any harm. I seriously considered a 12 volt conversion for my '51, but ended up using a slightly taller 6 volt battery sized for smaller IH tractors from the late 40s and early 50s (IH Series H and M, and likely others) They are readily available in farming country. My only regret is that I cannot find a 6 volt electric warmer to pull off the choke for winter driving. (The car takes forever to warm the carb up from zero degrees relying on the exhaust heat.)

Rickricca- I would like to replicate your idea. Can you tell me where you sourced your electric choke? (I haven't had much luck looking, except for used VW units at $50 a pop.)

I vote 12 volts, I converted my 52 Super in 1985. No problems with 6 volt starter. Adjust voltage to about 9 volts for heater and defroster motors. Try buying a 6 volt headlight especially at night to get home. The best part is a modern radio to keep the wife happy. Keep that hand choke. Much more dependable and way more adjustable, just don't forget it.

those mini starters work pretty well I put one on my 12 volt converted 47 ford after I snapped the starter drive spring running a 6 volt starter on 12 volts.. most inconvenient!

Back