stubbe

stubbe

I wonder of smoking Nailhead 322.My engine smokes out of oilfilling cap.Engine takes no oil,Working fine but is smelly under hood when warm.Is the tube from pan under intakemanifold clugged?Enywone ho has the same problem?Give me hints.Stubbe in Sweden.:car::shifter::waving:

that's piston blow-by. it may ( or may not ) indicate that some of your rings are bad. which you can check by compression testing all of the cylinders.

if your 322 is not equipped with a PCV ( Positive Crankcase pressure Ventilation ) valve, you could plumb one into one of your valve covers.

it's impossible to eliminate all combustion blow by, so the crankcase is going to have a certain amount of positive pressure while running no matter what UNLESS
1 - you install a Dry Sump oiling system
2 - you install a vacuum pump to the crankcase

Stubbe

Don't forget to make sure the PCV valve is functioning properly. Since it doesn't use any oil.

Hello Buickfriends allover.My question of nailhead 322 54 smoke oil.What PCV?Only ventilation is in tube from pan under intake manifold,and oil filler cap.I have spare valvecovers from a later engine whit holes for oilcaps.But i wonder why the smoke dont goes out under car?I dont think rings are so bad ,she does not smoke in exhaust pipes,not consume any oil.The sparks is like new.Can i modify whit my later headcovers?Stubbe in Sweden.:car::shifter::waving:

The mesh in the valley pan is plugged up, reason no smoke coming out of draft tube. I ALWAYS install PCV valves even if they didn't come equipped with them. Keeps under hood cleaner from no oil mist, that can't really be seen, & keeps the internals of the engine cleaner when working correctly.

Pcv

Would you install them on a straight eight? I have thought about doing so. Just not sure of the method .

Ben

The mesh in the valley pan is plugged up, reason no smoke coming out of draft tube. I ALWAYS install PCV valves even if they didn't come equipped with them. Keeps under hood cleaner from no oil mist, that can't really be seen, & keeps the internals of the engine cleaner when working correctly.

Tom,
How exactly do you do that? Do you use a later carburetor swap. The PCV is basically a controlled vacuum leak. Doesn't the carburetor need to be calibrated for that? If you simply plumb it into the existing carburetor base plate, wouldn't that lean the engine out?

Hello every Buickfriends.Pcv ?valve?I dont understand.But if my valleypan is clogged up,is it better to clean up???
The nail was not smoking when its was new i suppose.Is there a bad solution from fabrik?Oilsmoke and why have they done
different headcovers?Plese tell me.Sorry of bad spelling.Tanks for answers.Stubbe in Sweden.:car::shifter::waving:

Stubbe

Yes cleaning the mesh or replacing it with new will be necessary. That will help your engine breath and balance out the pressure buildup. By installing a PCV valve it will cut back on the oil residue that vents out the vent tube. It will also help with the oil smell

Hello everybody in the Buickworld.I have cleaned up nail, new oil.No oilcomcusion at all.Drive about 400 mil/not miles this summer ,no problems but my lady smokes in oilfiller cap when warm?Not any big problem but it is disturbent when smoke get out under hood under peoples choce etc.?:shifter::car::wavey::waving:

Back