stubbe

stubbe

I wonder if anywone knows of Horn /signal connection from steering Wheel down in tube and
then under dash.The Cable Wire must be soldered somewere on the shaft?Give me some
advice or i will pull out all of the steering.Sorry of bad spelling.I hope any can help me of
my Buickfrinds.The Buick is Model 56C Super of 54 year.
Stubbe in Sweden.:car::shifter::thumbsup:

Horn trouble on '54 Buick

Stubbe, You need a shop manual. Basically, the wire solders in a dimple/divot of the brass sleeve at the lower end of the steering shaft. The brass sleeve is rubber isolated from the shaft. It is somewhat accessible through a small window with 2 screws where the horn wire attaches to the column. The wire connects to a spring loaded "brush" plunger which rides against the brass sleeve. It may be difficult to get the wire down there and soldered through the small slot on column. John

Stubbe, You need a shop manual. Basically, the wire solders in a dimple/divot of the brass sleeve at the lower end of the steering shaft. The brass sleeve is rubber isolated from the shaft. It is somewhat accessible through a small window with 2 screws where the horn wire attaches to the column. The wire connects to a spring loaded "brush" plunger which rides against the brass sleeve. It may be difficult to get the wire down there and soldered through the small slot on column. John

Tanks John.you make my day.I try to take off top panel an maybe get close to the soldering point.
From a Cold Sweden and a Buicklower.
Stubbe.:car::shifter::1st::waving:

Stubbe in Sweden

I hope of help.Must i take out the hole steering to solder a new cable to the brass ring?
Can i take out the upper dashpanel to get in?I feel a hole under the dash/steering tube
but i cant see were the solder joint is located so if anywone give me advice.Tacks for all
help.Stubbe in a moisty and cold Sweden.:car::waving::shifter:

The divot is at the upper end of the brass sleeve, you can rotate the steering wheel until you see it lined up in the window. You will have to find the end of the wire to solder it, it comes out a hole in the hollow steering shaft.If it is broken, it may be too short to reach. If you find the end of the wire, you will need a "HOT" powerful soldering iron to heat the brass sleeve hot enough to solder the wire. I had my steering box and shaft out of the car when I soldered mine on the '55. The shop manual will give detailed instructions for removing the '54. The steering box and shaft are one unit and come out the front. The steering column will have to be loosened and dropped down to slide out shaft and box assembly. Follow the book instructions.

Stubbe

The divot is at the upper end of the brass sleeve, you can rotate the steering wheel until you see it lined up in the window. You will have to find the end of the wire to solder it, it comes out a hole in the hollow steering shaft.If it is broken, it may be too short to reach. If you find the end of the wire, you will need a "HOT" powerful soldering iron to heat the brass sleeve hot enough to solder the wire. I had my steering box and shaft out of the car when I soldered mine on the '55. The shop manual will give detailed instructions for removing the '54. The steering box and shaft are one unit and come out the front. The steering column will have to be loosened and dropped down to slide out shaft and box assembly. Follow the book instructions.

Tanks John.Now i understand what i have to do.
Stubbe in Sweden.:car::shifter::thumbsup::waving:

Stubbe, If you cannot get the wire out of the hole, you can push in a new wire from the bottom until it comes out the top of the shaft at the steering wheel. Solder the bottom end to the sleeve, then cut to length at top and re-solder the top end button with the spring and push any extra length wire down the steering shaft....
If the original wire is long enough, you can use new wire to tie on the old wire and pull it back down the shaft and out the hole. We call it a "fish tape".
You may have better luck soldering if you "tin" the brass sleeve and end of the wire first. Do this by heating and applying a drop of solder to sleeve and wire to ensure that it will stick good. Then when you get the wire in place, just heat both until they solder together and cool quickly. You will have to be sure that the wire doesn't spring back off the sleeve when removing the soldering iron. Get it to lay in place before soldering or figure a way to hold the wire in place. John

Last edited:
Stubbe

Stubbe, If you cannot get the wire out of the hole, you can push in a new wire from the bottom until it comes out the top of the shaft at the steering wheel. Solder the bottom end to the sleeve, then cut to length at top and re-solder the top end button with the spring and push any extra length wire down the steering shaft....
If the original wire is long enough, you can use new wire to tie on the old wire and pull it back down the shaft and out the hole. We call it a "fish tape".
You may have better luck soldering if you "tin" the brass sleeve and end of the wire first. Do this by heating and applying a drop of solder to sleeve and wire to ensure that it will stick good. Then when you get the wire in place, just heat both until they solder together and cool quickly. You will have to be sure that the wire doesn't spring back off the sleeve when removing the soldering iron. Get it to lay in place before soldering or figure a way to hold the wire in place. John
Tanks a lot.Now i know the way to do and i hope maybe my horn will blow whit pressure
of steering ring instead of a pushbutton under dash.Tanks again John.Stubbe in a cold 14 celcius.
:car::waving::thumbsup::shifter:

Back