Straight 8 ID..

Sprech

F3FC0EC4-A40C-4E26-9C07-6320DDE6F5E9.jpegSorry to do this to y’all on yet another engine ID question, but I don’t know if I’m reading the engine reference correctly. The number on the stamp pad is 59706264, but looking at the reference, I can’t figure out if a prefix of 597… is legit. Thanks!

Welcome to Buick Land!! That is indeed a correct engine number. The final digit ,4, is the series # . All Specials are series 40. That # reads 5,970,626 4

Automatic transmission or standard?

Ben

Welcome to Buick Land!! That is indeed a correct engine number. The final digit ,4, is the series # . All Specials are series 40. That # reads 5,970,626 4

Automatic transmission or standard?

Ben
Thanks. It’s a standard transmission. It’s been sitting in the Oklahoma sun for the last 30 years, so she’s a little chewy, but solid.

Thanks. It’s a standard transmission. It’s been sitting in the Oklahoma sun for the last 30 years, so she’s a little chewy, but solid.

Mine is standard, too. A 41D. Engine "warmed up" a little. If I can help, let me know. We can exchange phone #s . I am just over the Red from OK.

Ben

I am not sure! Using the numbers in that chart, total production seems pretty high. As regards engine numbers for BUICK, the series digit was the FIRST digit on 1942 [prewar] and earlier engines. The LAST digit on 1946 [postwar] and later. I disregard this digit when checking for year.

A little trivia. Your engine is a one year engine. 1950 saw changes in the water pump/coolant system. 1950 was the LAST 248 engine.
Another trivia. Buick used the upper case I in place of a 1, a lower case b for 6, lower case b upside down for 9 in the engine numbers.

Ben

I am not sure! Using the numbers in that chart, total production seems pretty high. As regards engine numbers for BUICK, the series digit was the FIRST digit on 1942 [prewar] and earlier engines. The LAST digit on 1946 [postwar] and later. I disregard this digit when checking for year.

A little trivia. Your engine is a one year engine. 1950 saw changes in the water pump/coolant system. 1950 was the LAST 248 engine.
Another trivia. Buick used the upper case I in place of a 1, a lower case b for 6, lower case b upside down for 9 in the engine numbers.

Ben
A one year engine, great! That means some parts will probably be unobtanium! 😝😝😝 I’ll figure out what I’m going to do with it once it’s running again, but I am really leaning towards (gasp) an LS swap, but we’ll see what happens.

A one year engine, great! That means some parts will probably be unobtanium! 😝😝😝 I’ll figure out what I’m going to do with it once it’s running again, but I am really leaning towards (gasp) an LS swap, but we’ll see what happens.

NO. NO. NO.:cry::cry: LOL I didn't mean to scare ya! Really the only thing different from earlier 248s is the water pump. And it was used on the 263 that came in the Super in 1950=1952 and Special 1951 through 1953. Everything is available. Any one can do an LS.
Is the engine free? All there?

Ben

Why not a NailHead swap??? The engine was designed for this chassis to begin with.

Tom T.
I haven’t made any decisions, but it will be based on parts availability. I’ve LS swapped two vehicles so far and am happy with the LS platform as a whole. I’ve also got a SBF 302 with Holley EFI that I’m happy with as well, so we’ll see what she tells me as I work on her.

NO. NO. NO.:cry::cry: LOL I didn't mean to scare ya! Really the only thing different from earlier 248s is the water pump. And it was used on the 263 that came in the Super in 1950=1952 and Special 1951 through 1953. Everything is available. Any one can do an LS.
Is the engine free? All there?

Ben
LOL. Is the LS engine free or the Buick engine? I don’t have the former, but have done a couple of swaps, plus there are “Connect and Cruise” kits available. As for the latter, it is all there as far as I can tell, this car is a “ran when parked” kind of situation. Really though, o was looking at a 2bbl Holley sniper setup and possibly doing a 4l80e conversion.

I will also look at a nailhead swap as mentioned in a previous post, but if it will fit I could also go Buick 455 or something like that. But again, we’ll see what she tells me as I begin to rehab her and get her running/roadworthy.

I have EFI on mine. You would like that. I know I do. Bought mine from Affordable Fuel Injection. 12 years and 20,000 plus miles.

Ben

I have EFI on mine. You would like that. I know I do. Bought mine from Affordable Fuel Injection. 12 years and 20,000 plus miles.

Ben
I think I looked at them. I did see one that was on these forums a while back and emailed the company, but they never responded.

That being said, the Holley Sniper 2300 with a Carter base plate is what I am currently looking at although I’m not 100% sold on it just yet.

For the efi, did you have to change the way the car starts or does it still do the pedal start?

Bryan

Bryan, I use a push button. I am lazy. The "pedal" start can be made to work. I just did not want to go to that trouble. I WOULD NOT GO BACK TO CARB.

Ben

Back