Restoring Father's 1964 Special conv

M2Guy

Hello fellow enthusiast, I am currently in the middle of a frame off restoration of my Father's first new car that he special ordered. It is a 1964 Special convertible with the 300cid 250hp engine, 4 speed and position rear end. I would like to find out approx how many were built like this. Any suggestions on were or how to find this info would be appreciated. Planning on having her completed this Spring (2023). Can't wait to see Dad behind the wheel again after all these years!

Don't know how or where you can find the info your seeking.
I'm sure Dad will be appreciative.
Sounds like a FUN project especially being Dad is still around.

Tom T.

I'm sure the info is out there, just need to know where to look. Someone knows lol.
Dad bought the car when he was 22. My parents road off from their wedding in it. I learned to drive a standard transmission in that car. There are a lot of memories in that car. It was driven almost 100k miles before being parked. Originally I was going to restore the car as a surprise for Dad but given his age wanted him to be included in the restoration. This project like all projects has had its ups and downs, but it sure has been some FUN father and son time.

Reactions: Bob
Bob, thanks for the info. I reached out to Sloan today and waiting to hear back from them. In looking thru their info, looks like their records for this info may start at 1970 but I've got my fingers crossed lol. Rick

The library has a section on automotive. I have seen full sets of Chilton books for domestic and import in groups of years. Also, you may come across titles that focus on restoration, paint, blueprinting an engine, etc. I wouldn't limit yourself to neighborhood library, the colleges will let you in their library as a guest. Some of the colleges post pandemic began to offer 24hour online virtual search and viewing of books, articles, and other publications with live virtual assistance. Otherwise, if the book hasn't been scanned for upload online, there is plenty of reference automotive books at the library, they are just there collecting dust. In respect to your question, you will find the information, I have stumbled on it so many times, I don't look at the numbers anymore. If you can't make it to the happiest place on earth, old car book values paperback will have it.

Last edited:
Back