Resistance Wire

WildKitty

Experienced Member
I got away from the cars for a bit, so I'm having trouble getting back to where I was when I pulled the old wiring harness on the 425 in my 64Wildcat. I've got the new wiring harness from the front bumper to the dash, andfrom the rear end to the dash.
I installed a coil with the resistor build in. Now I'm wondering where the resistance wire (from the ignition switch) should go. I've got the pink wire going to the coil. the resistance wire is in the same position on the ignition switch as the pink wire. I installed a one wire alternator. I'm not using the firewall connector, I think the resistance wire went from the ign switch to the connector, then to ? in the engine compartment.

The purple wire from the starter goes to the NSS, and the yellow to the ign switch.

Now, and I don't remember where it was connected, there is one yellow wire going from the kickdown switch, and a second that is loose. it has a flat blade tip on it. the diagram in the manual shows it going to the windshield wiper harness ??? Is there supposed to be power on it to make the kickdown switch work?

The original wiring diagram doesn't show any relays for the headlights, but they were recommended - I made a two relay connector box and ran #12
to the headlights - sure brightened them. I'm using the original switches.

One thing the folks that supplied the wiring harness didn't mention was I needed two relays for each electric window motor (one for down, one for up. No problem, just an added expense that caught me by surpise. I shaved the doors on my 64 4dr hardtop Lesabre, and the relays came with that harness for the door selonoids. The electric window motors didn't come with relays.

I kept the electric window motors/switches from my old cadaliac, the wires were all #10 - (no relays) I'm suspecting that they are 30 or 40amp switches and relays weren't required back then.

Any input appreciated
Thanks

I got around my own question:
Pertronix Ignitor
No resistance wire or ballast.

From what I've read, I'll have a better running 425

Resistance wire

Hi there, As far as I've figured out, some GM ignition switches have 2 terminals, one will direct 12VDC to the points WHILE starting,(to make it easier to start) then, when you release the key (into the "run" position) it runs at about 9VDC continually through the RESISTANCE wire to the points so as not to burn them out. Also, the resistance wire is there to "FUSE" the whole starting circuit against short circuiting; It melts safely so as not to set fire to anything. Most of you probably know all this, & (I'm no auto electrian) I may be wrong with some of this too, but I think it's right. I totally wired my '66 Pontiac Tempest convertible from the original under dash wiring to everything forward in the engine bay & it's still good! thanks,Kiwijeff from down under in beautiful New Zealand

Back