Pull in Cam Bearing Tool

You will need a lathe to build build this.

I recently had a bearing alignment problem in an MG (what has that got to do with Buicks). The bearing hole alignment with the block holes was poor, and instead of being pro-active and grinding the block out first, I foolishly installed them with the universal cam bearing installation tool. I should have pulled them in gentally.

Generally I have good luck with the universal cam bearing tool, but occasionally the end of a bearing can be damaged. I looked for a cam bearing puller, but only found one from BHJ, $800 ouches! I decided to build one.
cam_bearing_1.png
I used a sealed ball bearing which I had laying around. If I had a thrust bearing I would have used it, but the pull used to pull in a cam bearing is quite light and I expect the ball bearing will last a long time. I used 1/2" ready rod, could be I would use 9/16" next time. I only put about 1/2" of threads in the handle. The handles are pressed in tight, with Loctite. I built a push washer that contacted the outer race and gave clearance for the inner race.
cam_bearing_2.pngcam_bearing_3.pngcam_bearing_4.png
I didn't look at converting a set of adjustable bearing drivers to this, instead I just built fresh bearing drivers. I allowed a minimum of .010" under the OD of the bearing and .025" under the ID of the bearing and then wrap it with electrical tape. In the old days I built them from shafting, but these are much easier using aluminum.
cam_bearing_5.png
It works great, and will almost certainly guarantee that you will be able to install and remove bearings with even less chance of damage than a good bearing driver.

Last edited:
Bob, When you have a lathe your imagination is your only limitation. I just love to say "I built it." Good job.
Vern

Back