Problem with carter carb.

J

johnny

Here's what happened:
This is a carb that i bought of someone who claimed to have rebuilt it. I primed the carb with gasoline cause the car had been sitting awhile. The engine roared to life like as if i was really hitting the gas hard and then cut out. Fuel had made it as far as the filter and i guess into the bowl. i will find out in the morning. also the carb made a couple of pops. I think maybe the carb is flooding the engine and killing it.

Unless an older mechanic or someone who is really seasoned with rebuilding carbs did this rebuild, I wouldn't trust it after what you've described.
I would check for a blown out gasket\bad cleaning job between metal parts or just worn out parts.
I would recommend rebuilding the carb yourself with a manual from Haynes or buying a new one from Holley or some other company that makes quality rebuilds.
Carbs may be simple in principle, but they're jigsaw puzzles when it comes to rtebuilding... like the Q-jet!

Also, maybe you should check that the fuel pump is putting out the right amount of fuel pressure and that your gas is still good. Gasoline looses 90% of it's octane and will start to absorb moisture within 3 months.

thanks for the response. After checking it out I found that a screw-in plug that is 1/4" in diameter was missing from inside the carburator. That guy i bought it from in temple city california is a cheat.
I had to make my own plug because the guys at 4 different carb shops did not have a replacement piece. I can happily say that the carb now works and so does the engine.

Back