Please Help!!!!

R

ray watt

I have a question and I need help. I have a buick 455 and a 400 tranny just laying around. It came out of a 70 buick electra. My problem is that I have a 73 chevy caprice that needs an engine. Is there any way I can put the motor and tranny into the chevy and have it fit. Are the mounts the only thing I need to change. What else may I need to modify to make it fit.

Shouldn't be a big deal, but a few things you'll have to watch out for.

First of all, you'll have to get the motor mounts & brackets. I believe that the Caprice is on the same platform as the LeSabre / Wildcat etc., so the swap should be pretty easy.

You'll also have to mess with the wiring a bit- for example, the distributor is typically located in the rear of the engine on a Chevy, it'll be on the front on the Buick engine. Also, your car may be set up for HEI, and the 455 probably has points (it would be a good idea to switch to HEI anyhow).

The exhaust will have to be messed with, too- the exhaust manifold are in a different location on the Buick than used to be in your Chevy. No big deal for most exhaust shops.

Besides that, it should be fairly straightforward- maybe a few other small things along the way like radiator connections, tranny mount, etc., but I think you will be VERY happy with the new engine.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Bobbc455
Thanks for your help! I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.
Raywatt

I forgot to think about the tranny aspect of the swap- you will probably need to change the driveshaft length, get a yoke for a TH400, maybe move the tranny crossmember, and maybe a tranny mount change...

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

Now should I use the drive shaft from the Chevy or the one that I had for the Buick. Is moving the crossmember to the tranny as hard as it sounds (will there be any wielding needed). Will I have to get a special drive shaft. I haven't started this project yet because I am finishing up my 85' but I would like to start soon so all of your help is greatly appreciated.

[ 03-15-2003, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: bob ]

The driveshaft is gonna be something that you'll have to look at- different combinations of trannies/rearends existed, and it's hard to tell. I'm willing to bet that you may not be able to use either driveshaft. However getting a custom driveshaft built is not really a big deal- for example, a local shop here will build me a strong, custom-length driveshaft for about $150 including U-joints. I just have to provide the yoke and dimensions. If you get lucky, you might be able to re-use one of the drveshafts (more likely the Buick), but I can't say for certain.

Moving the tranny crossmember is a simple matter of unbolting & rebolting in new holes. You will probably want a new tranny mount, but again those are commonly available.

Back