part needed

bob stone

I am trying to locate a power steering gear box for a 1963 Buick Wildcat with standard 401 nailhead engine. Are there other models and/or years this part was used?

Except Special, Hollander says Buick '62 and '63 use the same box for all Buicks.
And, all '61-62 lower power steering units on Cad. , Olds, except F85, and Buick Special and Pontiac interchange. Buick '61-62 differs, but interchanges. Others are identical. Olds '59-60 also fits.

Except Special, Hollander says Buick '62 and '63 use the same box for all Buicks.
And, all '61-62 lower power steering units on Cad. , Olds, except F85, and Buick Special and Pontiac interchange. Buick '61-62 differs, but interchanges. Others are identical. Olds '59-60 also fits.
Thanks very much Bob for this information. I will expand my search on this basis. Please let me know if you become aware of a replacement part. I am also considering having mine rebuilt but this presents logistical problems as I cannot remove and replace the unit myself. The car will need to be stored and not driven for several ? weeks, part shipped to and from etc.

Are you sure you need a gear box? I thought I needed a gear box on my 1963. Turns out I had Slop in the steering shaft. If you have someone move the steering wheel back and forth watch the metal ring under the hood it has two pins that come up through the metal ring. The ring on mine wore out around the pins giving me slop in the steering.

Are you sure you need a gear box? I thought I needed a gear box on my 1963. Turns out I had Slop in the steering shaft. If you have someone move the steering wheel back and forth watch the metal ring under the hood it has two pins that come up through the metal ring. The ring on mine wore out around the pins giving me slop in the steering.
Thank you Jeff for this advice. I will certainly ask before the part is installed, but per professional? inspection I was told it was the gear itself and other steering components were OK. In the meantime, I was introduced to Tom Telesco, who says he can provide one for and exchange of my core; hopefully the correct part and will resolve the issue I am having. Unfortunately, I am in Colorado and the car is in Connecticut so until I get there I will not be able to evaluate it further. Looks like your wildcat is in very good condition; my not so much but still fun! first car I ever owned; father purchased new.

Back