P0008 code on 2010 Lacrosse CXS (3.6L)

LeonJames

I have a 2010 Lacrosse CXS with the 3.6L v6 with ~132,000 miles. Over the summer my car has been periodically showing a check engine light, and then it goes away after a few starts, and then returns a few starts later, and then goes away agin. The code that my odb2 reader is showing is P0008: Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1. My research shows that this is usually related to a Timing Chain issue and is a pretty hefty repair bill (~$1,500).
I plan on getting this looked at at some point, however I am a recent college graduate that doesn't start work until mid September so money is tight. Can I safely drive for a few months until then?
Also, I've seen on some other forums that there is a possible ECU upgrade for this engine that allows more tolerance for the timing chain to stretch before throwing the check engine light. Does anyone know anything about this?

I don't think anyone is going to tell you, you can safely drive the car after the light has come on. That would be to take on some liability if failure should occur. It could fail as early as the next start up, or it could last another 50,000 miles. It's your gamble.

I have no idea about the ECU upgrade to allow greater tolerances, but if it is not an OE upgrade, you could be taking your chances there too. Perhaps you could research the scope of the job, and decide if you would like to tackle it yourself or with the help of a friend.

3.6 timing chain on ebay

Last edited:
I have a 2010 Lacrosse CXS with the 3.6L v6 with ~132,000 miles. Over the summer my car has been periodically showing a check engine light, and then it goes away after a few starts, and then returns a few starts later, and then goes away agin. The code that my odb2 reader is showing is P0008: Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1. My research shows that this is usually related to a Timing Chain issue and is a pretty hefty repair bill (~$1,500).tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

I plan on getting this looked at at some point, however I am a recent college graduate that doesn't start work until mid September so money is tight. Can I safely drive for a few months until then?
Also, I've seen on some other forums that there is a possible ECU upgrade for this engine that allows more tolerance for the timing chain to stretch before throwing the check engine light. Does anyone know anything about this?

my issue got solved!

First dont waste your money on programming your ecm. Yes this is a timing chain code and needs to be fixed the sooner the better. I cant give you a straight answer only info.

1. The chains may or may not be the problem. On 3.6 motors they have actuators on the end of the cams (greatly simplified, gears on the parts that time your motor) if the actator have to much play as the try to retard and advance your motors timing this will set that code.
  2. Lets say the timing chains have stretched a little and that is all that is wrong. Your engine will run slightly out of time which at first isnt great but will not be a major problem. And can last a day or 10 years. (Best case)
  3. If you chains are stretched and keep stretching or break. It goes from removing just valve covers, intake manifold, and engine front cover. To a full engine rebuild or replace. Due to the engine you have, if one of the chains break your pistons can hit valves causing engine head removal and inspection and removal of pistons to check for bent rods.
So if it was mine and i couldnt/did feel comfortable fixing it myself, i would first decide fix or sell. If fix sooner is a good idea.

Reactions: Bob
Visually inspect the timing chain and tensioner for wear or misalignment. Inspect the crankshaft reluctor wheel to ensure proper positioning. Replace any damaged or faulty parts. Reset the code and run the engine to see if the check engine light illuminates.
vidmate.app saveinsta

Last edited:
Back