Oil in intake manifold

78adam

Hello,

I am new to this forum and need a little help! I have been building a 1951 special with a 263. I am running a dual carb intake and exhaust manifold from a 41, I had the motor rebuilt years ago and it sat for about 10 years before I finally got her together and running. Long story short i pulled the intake and exhaust manifold and found oil in the intake manifold ports not much but enough to wet my finger. I only have the two strombergs hooked up to the manifold as I’m currently running an electric fuel pump so all the vacuum ports are blocked off. I haven’t noticed really any smoke, very little hear and there the spark plugs are dry and haven’t seen any oil fouling. Just trying to track down the source of the oil, my guess is a valve issue?? Or could a small amount of oil be something acceptable back then?, I am also running a modern 10/30 weight oil, could the lighter weight oil be sneaking through where heavier wouldn’t ?
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!
Adam393702BD-2A6E-42BA-A9A2-6CB402F14DF0.jpeg39BE6E4C-AED5-4533-853A-E2C312F61A9C.jpeg

The best excuse would be if you were running the original oil bath air cleaner:)

Otherwise, you have to look at the intake guides, although I am not certain how it would push the oil so far into the manifold, but maybe it could happen. If your heads were done to OE specs, they don't have any valve seals, so if your guide clearances are not good, that could be the source. If you want to be "economical", you could put a set of bell seals on the intakes.

Back