Oil drain plug gaskets made of Nylon?!

Hi,

I'm planning to do an oil change this weekend and ordered the required stuff from Rockauto.
Now they sent me a set of oil drain plug gaskets made from translucent Nylon - Brand is "Dorman".
Never seen anything like this before, so far I only know theses gaskets made of copper...like copper washers.

Is this a good, reliable alternative or should I go with the old school copper gaskets?

Cheers,
Harry

GM has a 1/2" gasket. Go to the parts counter. It is metal outside diameter & softer material inside diameter.
Been using them for years with NO problems at all.

Tom T.

Ok, so far this Nylon gasket is not 100% tight and the packaging is not giving any torque recommendation.

Does anyone have an idea on how to correctly set this without ruining the gasket? Does this require a certain torque or do you tighten the drain plug until the gasket is squeezed to a specific point?

Cheers,
Harry

No GM over here ;-)
Its called Opel instead and I would never let those guys near my Buick...

Cheers
Harry

P.S. increased torque bit by bit and now it seems the oil stays inside the engine ;-)

For all intent purposes a Buick Encore is an Opel. It's still part of GM. Go to the parts counter & just ask you MAY be surprised.

Tom T.

Back