Nailhead valuation help please

Hi All,
I'm back - after a 12 year absence! (Thanks Bob for helping me get set up again).
I have a 1965 vintage LX code 425 Nailhead that I had fully built some 10 years ago with the intention of putting it in a project. But that hasn't come along and maybe it won't. So I wanted to offer it for sale so someone can benefit from it. The only wrinkle is it is here in Ireland and not in the US. I'd be grateful if you guys would help value it for me - and I guess I could ship it back to the US if someone wanted me to!

SO it's a 1965 vintage LX code 425 out of a Riviera GS. Yes it has the factory dual quad manifold. It also has the sand cast aluminium valve covers with B U I C K cast into the top. They are not polished, they are plan finished.
The whole engine was stripped, hot tanked, and built up with new bearings and new Egge pistons. Either standard size of 30 over, I can't remember but can dig out the paperwork.
Cam is a new grind from Carmen Faso in Tonawanda N New York for a rumpy idle but still good pull and torque - what these engines are famous for. He didn't tell me what spec the cam was.
Heads are newly built up by Carmen Faso with new valves, a 3 angle valve grind and new springs to match the cam. He did keep to the smaller valve size for better torque with the cam, rather than going to the large valve size. Again I can look it up.
New rocker arms also. And obvioulsy new water pump, oil pump, fuel pump etc.
The dual quad carbs - that came with the engine - have been professionally rebuilt. I sent them back to the US to be rebuilt. I have the linkages.
I have the large chromed dual snorkel air cleaner with a useable filter in it - what a piece!
Distributor is a small body HEI from Dave's HEIs. New cap & rotor obviously!
The engine has a starter. Small hi torque starter I believe.
Exhaust manifolds are 2 pairs - standard big car cast and a cast tubular headers that came with the 401 Skylark GS - yes the plan was to put it into a 65 Skylark, since sold. A body manifolds are ceramic coated inside & out.
Sump is probably therefore for an A body.
I have the engine plates to mount the 425 into the A body frame (they were a small fortune if I remember rightly!)

The engine was run to check all was OK - it still has the Royal Purple break in oil in it. All was absolutely fine. But it has never been installed in a car and never seen street use. It has been (very) dry stored since and never moved from it's storage spot since I brought it home. It's in a wooden buck for transportation.

Engine is painted Buick Green and detailed nicely.

I also have a switch pitch ST400 that has been fully rebuilt. Postons torque converter still in the box and the accelerator linkage switch pitch switch.

Also have an Electra radiator with tank configuration to fit the Nailhead and a core cut down to fit into the Skylark radiator panel.

I have some additional small parts also.

So can you help me value it please?

Thanks All Nick

Attachments

• My semi built Nailhead right side May 08 small.jpg
    My semi built Nailhead right side May 08 small.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 14
  • My semi built Nailhead May 08 small.jpg
    My semi built Nailhead May 08 small.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi All,
I'm back - after a 12 year absence! (Thanks Bob for helping me get set up again).
I have a 1965 vintage LX code 425 Nailhead that I had fully built some 10 years ago with the intention of putting it in a project. But that hasn't come along and maybe it won't. So I wanted to offer it for sale so someone can benefit from it. The only wrinkle is it is here in Ireland and not in the US. I'd be grateful if you guys would help value it for me - and I guess I could ship it back to the US if someone wanted me to!

SO it's a 1965 vintage LX code 425 out of a Riviera GS. Yes it has the factory dual quad manifold. It also has the sand cast aluminium valve covers with B U I C K cast into the top. They are not polished, they are plan finished.
The whole engine was stripped, hot tanked, and built up with new bearings and new Egge pistons. Either standard size of 30 over, I can't remember but can dig out the paperwork.
Cam is a new grind from Carmen Faso in Tonawanda N New York for a rumpy idle but still good pull and torque - what these engines are famous for. He didn't tell me what spec the cam was.
Heads are newly built up by Carmen Faso with new valves, a 3 angle valve grind and new springs to match the cam. He did keep to the smaller valve size for better torque with the cam, rather than going to the large valve size. Again I can look it up.
New rocker arms also. And obvioulsy new water pump, oil pump, fuel pump etc.
The dual quad carbs - that came with the engine - have been professionally rebuilt. I sent them back to the US to be rebuilt. I have the linkages.
I have the large chromed dual snorkel air cleaner with a useable filter in it - what a piece!
Distributor is a small body HEI from Dave's HEIs. New cap & rotor obviously!
The engine has a starter. Small hi torque starter I believe.
Exhaust manifolds are 2 pairs - standard big car cast and a cast tubular headers that came with the 401 Skylark GS - yes the plan was to put it into a 65 Skylark, since sold. A body manifolds are ceramic coated inside & out.
Sump is probably therefore for an A body.
I have the engine plates to mount the 425 into the A body frame (they were a small fortune if I remember rightly!)

The engine was run to check all was OK - it still has the Royal Purple break in oil in it. All was absolutely fine. But it has never been installed in a car and never seen street use. It has been (very) dry stored since and never moved from it's storage spot since I brought it home. It's in a wooden buck for transportation.

Engine is painted Buick Green and detailed nicely.

I also have a switch pitch TH400 that has been fully rebuilt. Postons torque converter still in the box and the accelerator linkage switch pitch switch.

Also have an Electra radiator with tank configuration to fit the Nailhead and a core cut down to fit into the Skylark radiator panel.

I have some additional small parts also.

So can you help me value it please?

Thanks All Nick

Beautiful motor
However I’m certain the shipping cost would be the deal breaker for me :(

Thanks - yes It's a nice one.
I've shipped engines here from the States before - was about $1000 freight, so I guess it would be the same back the other way. Hope this helps.
regards Nick

Back