machine shop do's & don'ts

iddie makel

finally,everything is removed from the block.I realize at some point I've got to find a good machine shop.I purchased a book "engine builder's handbook" by Tom Monroe.It was the only one in the book store,and is easy to read,but there is a lot of stuff that I just don't understand because this is my maiden voyage into engine rebuilding.I thank all of you again for getting me this far,and request that when you find some time,would you give me your thoughts on things I should request the machine shop to do.I am also wondering if you guys get a receipt when you drop off heads,blocks,and other stuff at a machine shop?
iddie :eek:

Iddie,
My first suggestion is to ask around some local car clubs to get some recommendations for a machine shop. You could also find a local cruise spot and ask around there. You could also go to the AERA's web site ( www.aera.org )and find a member shop near you, BUT ... just because a shop is an AERA member does not mean they will be right for what you want to do. A LOT of machine shops do not want to work on older engines. They just want to do the "gravy" work. You also need to find a shop that is willing to hold your hand and help you through the process. You might have a hard time finding one that will. Thats why word of mouth is usually the best advertising, especially for someone like yourself who is a newcomer to the engine building world. You really have to trust your machine shop, if you feel at all uncomfortable with them, take you parts and go somewhere else.
One other suggestion....let your machine shop get the parts for you. It might cost you a bit more, but it makes it a lot easier to spend time with you when they have made a few extra dollars on the parts. A machine shop cannot survive selling only labor.
If you dont have any luck finding someone, shoot me an e-mail and I will make a call or two for you.
Hope this helps,

Hello Billk,
Thanks for the response and the advice.I will follow it.I know they have a Carolina Buick club somewhere down here.I'll get busy and see if I can get some phone #'s & addresses for e-mail.Thanks again.
iddie

iddie, I absolutely agree 101% with BillK's comments above. I also think it's imperative that you find someone that has some engine building experience and who would be willing to mentor you through the rebuild of your nailhead. There're a lot of gearheads in your neck of the woods and I'm sure a few of them would be more than happy to pass on their knowledge to someone willing to learn. I'd be more than happy to help someone like yourself to avoid some of the harder lessons I've had to learn. I'm sure there are others like myself in S. Carolina that would take you under their wing and teach you a few things. Join the local BCA chapter, meet a few people and make some friends. You're getting into a project that will cost about $2500, so you want to make sure it's done correctly. There's a BCA chapter in Abbeville, S.C., if that's close to you. The contact there is Willie Smith and he can be emailed at willersmith@wctel.net . If that's not close enough to you, maybe Mr. Smith can give you a name or two of someone in your area. If not, PM me and let me know your city and I'll give you some names in the BCA National roster for you to contact.
-Bob

Hello 55Spcl,
Thanks again for responding,and for the advice.I e-mailed that abbeville Buick club a little while ago.after I sent the e-mail I found some phone numbers so I'll be following up with some phone calls which I believe are sometimes more favorable.I will follow the advice you guys are giving me.
Iddie

Back