Looking to Buy 59 Lesabre...I need some Help

W

Wanna59

I am looking to purchase a 59 LeSabre and I need to know more about the car. The car is gong to be a daily driver and looks like its in pretty good condition.

I am looking for info like: </font>
  • * Engine specs *Parts Availabiltiy *Engine Rebuild Cost</font>
If there is any info about this year, I want to read it. Thanks.

Take a look at the homepage of this site. By clicking on the 59 model year along the left, you can reach info on the production figures by series and body style. Also the paint chips are in this section. Under Buick Shop there is some info on the engine ID and parts. I think I have some collector car magazine articles on 59 Buicks if you want a copy.

The parts are out there, though not as cheap or plentiful as they would be for a Chevy or Ford. Outside of drive train components, many of the parts will have to come from salvage yards, not too much is going on in reproduction of parts on this model. Being a LeSabre helps; those were most plentiful compared to other series.

If you plan on major drive train swaps, this car will not be a good candidate in some areas. It was built back in the day when each GM division was much more autonomous than now. Many Buick features were not available on other brands.

The Buick Twin Turbine automatic transmission will be hard to swap out with anything other than another Buick unit from around that period. If the car has the unusual optional Triple Turbine unit, repairs will be more complicated than on other automatics. Some owners on this board report trouble finding transmission shops that will work on the old Buick automatics. Not that it is unreliable compared to other transmissions of the day, its design is just unusual. You will likely note the performance is unusually smooth, but somewhat slow in the acceleration dept. Similarly, the torque tube drive arrangement (with the enclosed drive shaft) will not permit rear end or drive shaft swaps unless the complete drive train is changed out.

One unusual item to note about the 59 Buicks, there were owner complaints on these cars when new regarding the seats. Something about the position of the seats (too low?) in the body made the driving position uncomfortable. Changes were made to the 60 model to improve this area. You might want to check this since the car will be driven frequently.

Thanks for the info,

Unforntunatly, a recnet change in my employment will not allow me to afford two cars. So Maybe one day...
Thanks.

Back