Lookin for Help!

S

Southey Blanton

I have a 68 buick wildcat convertible and my father and i have been spending time fixing it up but i would love to fully restore it and make it a custom car that truly reflected how cool i think it is, and i would love to make the engine incredible, a real ground pounder, so i was wondering if there was any suggestions or advice out there to really make a truly great engine for a super car, thanks

First of all, what engine is in there?

How much would you be looking to do- max HP, regardless of cost? Can you rebuild the motor? Are you on a budget? Do you want the car streetable?

Tell us a bit more, we will give you some better guidance.

-Bob Cunningham

The engine is a 430 V8 right now, i have a family friend who wants to build a new 455 to put into it because he likes engines with more cubic inches, i was thinking this would be better since 455's were made for a longer time which would make it easier to find components and parts for it anyway, but what does anyone else think?
So far as horsepower, the most for about any amount of money would work, the engine is complete right now that is in it and i drive the car on a regular basis but i would really love to keep it street legal but make it as powerful and tough as possible, im not working on a very tight budget as im still in college and money i make from my job is going into an account to help pay for anything to make this car better - southey

The 430 is a great motor. You might squeeze a bit more HP out by going to a 455, but I'll leave that decision to you. The 430 valves can be ported out to give some good airflow, but if you switch to a 455 you might have to change the oiling system around a bit. Overall the 430 takes just about all the same parts as a 455, so that's not a big deal.

After you decide which motor you'll use, why don't you pick up a catalog from TA Performance- call (480)922-6807 or look at www.taperformance.com . They even sell pre-built 455 motors that they have in stock that are very nice high performance street motors, ideal for a fast, but still streetable car.

Then maybe consider things like headers, etc., but it would be a lot easier with just the stock manifolds (ported if you don't mind spending the money) and a nice 2.5" or 3" dual exhaust system with an "X"-pipe.

-Bob Cunningham

If you quest too much power with no respect for milage, you will eventually get tired of the cost of driving. The other thing to consider is excesive increase in engine hp will force you to invest a bunch more in your power train.

Back