Leaking Carter AFB 4bbl

WildKitty

Experienced Member
Im usually full of advice - it's just been awhile since I rebuilt a carb.. I just rebuilt the carter on my 445 (425)
and installed an electric fuel pump (to get a more "instant" start).

now I find it's leaking gas around the pump shaft..

can it be that the floats aren't set right?

I can't find my rebuild instructions, but I think the distance from the top of the carb should be 5/16ths.

anybody know for sure?
thanks much
Butch

If you weren't having the problem previous to the pump install you have TOO much fuel pressure. Use a pressure regulator to bring the pressure down to 4-5pds.

Tom T.

Tom, it's a 4lb pump.. I'm thinking the leak has been there since I rebuilt the carb. only put a few miles onnit since, smelt a few fumes, but thot that was from using a spray bottle to prime it.

I did find a site on the Elderbrock carb - 5/16th is the recommended setting for a performance 650-700. will pull the top off tomorrow and check my gap. it's probably my bad - I just took the gap for granted when I put it back together.

gonna be super careful rebuilding the 2bbl for the 300. I want to be able to drop it back in and know it will fire up.
:thumbsup:

had a nice day yesterday, pulled the top of the Carter 4bbl - yup, the float was wayyyyyyy to high.

set it at 5/16", and NO more leak.. soon as I got the air outta the fuel line, she fired right up.

I couldn't find a 5/16" drill bit, but I found a screwdriver that was 5/16 diameter shaft - worked perfectly:bana:

now i can get back to the 300

Back