Idle Micro Switch Adjustment TH400 Switch Pitch (66 Electra)

exchaoordo

Hi All,
I've tried rotating the idle switch on the throttle per the manual instructions but have been unable to get it closed. In fact, it doesn't seem to rotate at all. Things at the plunger end seem to work based on continuity testing. Any thoughts?

That's the switch alright. It rotates a very tiny bit (1/16th at the top I'd say). But not enough to engage the switch. I guess the next thing to do is remove it entirely and see if something's in the way. Thanks for the reply and especially the picture.

Yes, sound like a mechanical problem with the assembly. That switch puts the converter in high stall at idle. If you can't get it working, you can do the same thing by teeing into the switched wire at the brake light switch. When your foot is on the brake, it will be in high stall.

Thanks again, Larry. Here's an update: Looking at your photo I saw that the linkage itself was tighter. I think the switch actuator was misaligned with the wheel it's supposed to hit. I considered just squeezing the yoke of the throttle linkage tighter but ended up adding a couple of washers. That aligned things and closed the gap, but I also ended up drilling adjuster screw hole larger (which seemed like a workaround rather than a solution). I was lucky because I found a second setup in a bin of parts that came with the car. That let me play with everything on the bench rather than climbing into the engine compartment. Thanks again for your help. I hope some day to see a proper switch in real life.

Back