Hydraulic lifter question

B

buicksarecool

Does anyone know if there is a difference in Hydraulic lifters from 1950 to 1952? Also, is there a difference in the lifters between the 263 and 320 engines or was the same lifter used for both applications? I believe the same lifter was used for both motors from 49 to 53, but I'm not a 100% sure. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

The differences are wether or not any specific 263 is solid or hydraulic lifters. All 320's from '50 to '52 were hydraulic. To specifically tell which 263's should have solid or hydraulic, refer to...

http://www.buicks.net/shop/tuneup.html

The ones which have a zero lash adjustment are hydraulic.

Hi Bob,

My question is more specific to hydraulic lifters only. I know that all the 263 motors mounted to dynaflows came with hydraulic lifters. All 263 motors with the syncromesh came with solid lifters. What I need to know is did the hydraulic lifters change at all from 1949 to 1953, and were the hydraulic lifters used on the 320s the same as those used on a 263.

I'm doing a rebuild on my 52 263 and it's got hydraulic lifters in it. I'd like to get a new set. Someone I know is selling an NOS set from 1950 at a very good price. I just want to make sure there isn't any difference between the years and models, before I hand over the cash. Thanks.

According to my parts books, all lifters are the same from 50 - 53.

Yep! I just had a look at mine too...

It looks like the solids are all the same and the hydraulics are all the same until the v-8 then they change.

Back