How to remove 364 Nailhead oil pan?

Starmanlv

Hi All,

I own a 61' Buick LeSabre Convertible and the oil pan was leaking so bad that the oil is all over the bottom of the car, I removed all the bolts to the pan, they were so lose I understand now why it was leaking. But now I can't remove the pan, does anyone know how to remove? I was thinking that if I remove the flywheel cover it may have enough clearance to drop down. But, I am not sure how many bolts hold it on, any suggestions would be great, Thanks,

Starmanlv

Yes the flywheel cover will have to come off, but you will also need to take the bolts out of the motor mounts and lift the engine some to get enough clearance to pull the pan out.

Pictures of a used bell housing cover on eBay show 4 bolts holding it on. There are also 2 locking tabs on one edge.

The shop manual gives a little data in the section on re-assembing the lower end after doing engine bearing work etc. It describes replacing the oil pan (aka lower crankcase), bell housing cover, and steering linkage. See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    880.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    745.5 KB · Views: 8
hi Guys, how do you lift the engine and remove the motor mounts? the pan is empty an lose already. where do you lift from? how do you do it with out hurting tubing etc? any help would be much appreciated. I built a 70 Chevy impala and now that's out side for sale and this Buick was to replace that on ease of use, lol

Hopefully you are secure on jackstands first and foremost or up on blocks with the wheels chocked. You don't have to remove the mounts, but just the bolts that connect the mounts to the frame pads. Then you need to lift the engine enough to slip the pan out the back. You may have to remove the fan if it gets close to the radiator when you lift the engine.

Some people lift it with a bottle jack and block of wood under the balancer. I think that can do damage to the crank or balancer with the wrong pressure. I made a U shaped frame from 2x4s that fit tight to the block under the heads in front. Then I use the bottle jack under that homemade frame. You just need to lift it high enough to get the pan to slip out. You have to make sure it is not straining anything or hitting anything as you lift and only go as high as you need to remove the pan.

Also be very careful and make sure it is completely safe to work under there. Shake and push things before you go under to do this. This can be a very unsafe job without careful forethought!

Thanks Steve,
That is my concern, I read some where I can remove the steering arm as well. If the steering arm wasn't in the way the pan would fall right out. I was wondering if I could remove the steering arm with the tires on the wheel chocks. I am so surprised that the last owner replaced all the front end bushings but not the oil pan gasket, clearly the pan has been leaking a very long time?

I think you can remove the steering arms with the car suspended, but be careful of any rubber boots if you use a pickle fork. Make sure the back tires are immobilized too. I am still not sure that the front of the pan will not get stuck between front main cap and frame crossmember when you drop the rear of the pan to clear the flywheel. Maybe the Lesabre is different there?

Remove the two bolts that hold the idler arm to the frame. Now you can pull down on it & it will provide enough clearance.

Tom T.

Back