Hi all, I just got a 1966 Skylark

Hi,

I just purchased a 1966 Skylark and she is a project.
I got her from a guy that has had her for about 20 years and has not driven her since 2008. He had stripped and primed the front clip and just sprayed over paint the rest of the car. He said that the engine is from a '71 GS but he did not seem too sure. He had a friend working on the mechanical side while he was doing work on the body. The friend moved and nothing has been done to the car since. I can't complain becasue there is only a small amount of rust behind the rear window and the only other real rust problem is the pass floorboard. Someone tried to use some fiberglass to make a new floorboard.
She did not run when I got her and I found that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. After I replaced the switch she tried to turn over but did not and I got some sparks from the starter. I just looked and the primary wire is only a fraction of an inch away from the heat shield and I think that is why I got the sparks.

I look forward to bringing her back to the road and I am sure that I will be calling on you for information from time to time.

Thanks,

Superman

Attachments

• 1966 Skylark.jpg
    1966 Skylark.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Pass Side.jpg
    Pass Side.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Drivers side.jpg
    Drivers side.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1
Looks like a project alright. Floorpans are available from a lot of sources in different sections. They are common to the GM A-body from 64-67. You could post some pictures of the engine of use the reference section here to identify it. Let us know as you need help.

Engine

I have attached a couple of photos of the engine.

Attachments

• Small engine pic 1.jpg
    Small engine pic 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Small engine pic 2.jpg
    Small engine pic 2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4
Back