Help - 1940 Special horn assembly

Hello! I am working on installing the horn assembly in a 1940 Special. I do not understand the correct order to get the horn re-assembled. I have stacked together the wheel, horn ring, large spring, and brass contact plate held together with 3 tiny speed nuts. Every time I put this assembly on the column the horn honks continuously. Can anyone describe or explain the correct sequence to re-install these parts? Or, does anyone have a clear picture or diagram of how this works.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
~~Ben

Ben, here are some pages from the Master Parts List and the Shop Manual that may help.

Also shown is a factory service bulletin for repairing sensitive horn rings on 1948 models.

Attachments

• IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1980.JPG
    457.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    526.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    670.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Same problem here. I'm looking at the diagrams and trying to figure out what de sequence is for the correct install. Most parts from the partslist I can find on my horn ring and wheel. Some insulators not. Does anyone have pictures for me? Thanks!

The shop manual does not display a good exploded diagram of the horn assembly and as my car came mostly disassembled, I had to track down parts and instructions. When assembling the horn ring, it seems the ring assembly allows little to no movement of horn ring. There is supposed to be a soft rubber isolator between the horn ring and the contact plate. Mine is rock hard, so until I peruse the isles of the local hardware store for foam pipe insulation as a possible alternative, my horn ring is stiff. The soft rubber ring would be placed here in the dark spot in the center of the horn ring:
1704021783484.png

The assembly is shown in Section 13, Electrical as follows:

Greg led me to the diagram contained in the chassis parts book which is a bit more clear. The trim ring is removed from the steering wheel with three screws with lockwashers on the back of the trim ring.
1704021815262.png

The back of the trim ring assembly looks like this:

1704021834804.png

The assembly, starting at the trim ring is: the wire spring, followed by the horn ring, the soft rubber separator, then the contact plate. Careful, the three stamped steel nuts holding the contact plate have two additional pieces used to isolate electrical connection between the trim ring and the horn contact at the steering column. The shouldered piece (right piece in photo) is inserted on the screw post before placing the contact plate. After the contact plate is placed, insert the washer (middle piece) then the stamped nut.
1704021860431.png

The spring had a thin coat of rubber, not for electrical isolation, but likely for vibration or rattle control. I used a length of heat shrink tube to serve that purpose.

1704021877043.png

The photos above were taken before the steering wheel and associated pastic parts were restored or replaced.

Before the horn ring assembly is attached to the steering wheel, amother very important piece of insulation is placed on the steering wheel hub:

1704021898495.png

Another problem that I encountered was dead spots on the horn ring. The contact plate should be spotless and the area shown by the tip of the screwdriver in the following photo needs to be absolutely clean as well.

1704021916194.png

Before I could test the horn I had to reconnect the battery. This moment incited abject fear as my left ear would be about a foot away from the horn on the firewall when I placed the lead back onto the battery. Prepare yourself with hearing protection! Here's the finished product. I might want to rechrome the trim ring, but for now a good polish will clean it up nicely.
1704021943458.jpg

The rubber insulator or "Horn Button Separator" is available from Bobs Automobilia bobsautomobilia.com for $4.50
The part is HS-370 and it is on page 75 of the online catalog. I replaced mine at least 10 years ago so I can't recall anything
helpful to this conversation.

Back