Going again on Project !

Nuts

Well the Grandson and I are back working on his 1970 Buick Skylark after a long break for reasons only known to him ???

Anyway we got the motor sealed up and all the covers and pan back on and got oil pressure going to the valve train, so we getting ready to put it back in the car !!!
CIMG5967.jpg

But I have afew questions...

I believe these pinned valve cover bolts are for some kind of spark plugs separators, but I don't know where on the valve covers they should be installed ? And does someone have a picture of what the plug wire holders look like, so that we can look through the parts and find them ?
CIMG5969.jpg

Also can someone tell me what this part is and where it might go ?
CIMG5970.jpg

It's about eight inches long and has one hole for attaching to something ??
CIMG5971.jpg

Thanks
Bill

but I don't know where on the valve covers they should be installed ?

lower edge of the valve covers, towards the front of the engine.

And does someone have a picture of what the plug wire holders look like, so that we can look through the parts and find them ?

they're small plastic pieces that have one narrow hole to go over the pin and 4 ( or less ) C shaped areas to push the plug wires into.

iirc, something like these mopar units here:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar%20Performance/312/P5007481/10002/-1?sendroicid=bbef8492-2d00-41d6-b158-38db0de2603c&sendroikwd={keyword}&gclid=CPj0gfD6uLMCFQVgMgoddhMAVg

i believe the second item you're asking about bolts to the top rail of the valve cover ( with one of the valve cover bolts, just like the plug wire loom uses ) and is used to help shield your main wiring bundle ( containing the distro and alternator wires ) from heat coming off of the head.

is that an 'SP' code 350ci you've got there?

Bob, not sure what a "SP" code is ?

'SP' is one of the possible two digit stamping codes for 1970 which tell you what power output / configuration ( 2 or 4 barrel, single or dual exh, compression ) your engine had when it left the factory. 'SP' is the highest compression and HP rating for any production SBB, ever, with 315hp and 10.25:1 CR.

if it's an 'SP' engine you might may need to run Premium / AvGas or add bottles of lead fuel supplement in order to keep it from pinging. the power and torque are nice though. :thumbsup:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/70/70_engine_number.php

How do I find out and what does it mean ?

look for the stampings between the #1 and #3 spark plugs on the deck of the block. they MIGHT be widely separated and not appear to belong together but they do. this is the way my 1970 is stamped, with the S on the far left and the P on the far right of the viewable area of the block.

of course, if you've had a machinist deck the block those stampings will NOT be there.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=indent_engine_where

http://www.teambuick.com/images/reference/id_350.jpg

Attachments

• id_350.jpg
    id_350.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 7
Need moe help and advice !!

Okay more questions and pictures of parts, I'm confussed about ???

First, I don't know what this is called and can't find any reference to it in the shop manuuel ! It appears to be some kind of breather or filter for fuel vapors ?
It has hose plugs for "Intake", "PVC", and "Fuel Tank". The PVC has a plug over it and was not used. I believe I know how to hook up the hoses, but how do you service it ? The sponge filter on the bottom is falling apart..
CIMG5977.jpg
CIMG5976.jpg
CIMG5978.jpg

Second, Can someone help me figure out where all the seven vacumn connections go to from the carburator ?? There are seven outlets on the carb of various sizes (4 on the frount and 3 on the back).

BackofCarb.jpg

FrontCarb.jpg

I have looked all through the shop manuel and can't find any picture or description of where the vacumm lines might run... I know one is to the distributor (#4 on front) I believe and one must go to the PCV valve ??? Any help you experts can give me is appriciated.

Thanks
Bill

On the carb,
Back side:
#2 connects to #3
#1 I think is connected to auto transmission.

Front side:
#2 goes to the plastic choke pull off right beside it.
Plug #1
#3 goes to PVC
#4 goes to vacuum canister on distributor.

That's how I would use them anyway, may not be factory correct.

i believe the other is simply a carbon filter canister. there's hardly anything high tech about them, if you're concerned about it you could just buy a sheet of foam and cut a piece to shape.

Back