"GEN' light stays on with ign off

“IGN” light won’t go out- even with the switch off & key out.

I never had the problem after I did the column the first time. I revisted the column to
replace the sector gear, ign switch & preload spring.The car was fine until I replaced them.

Got it all together and now the car cranks ( haven’t tried to start it yet) My problem is that the “GEN” light stays on constantly, no matterwhat position the key is in.
I havn’t got the key buzzer switch in- waiting for areplacement.

The radio is staying on too, and when I disconnect the battery I can hear a relay clicking off- some where on the firewall.

I suppose it’s possible that a relay has failed- in the 4weeks the car has been sitting.
Or is it something I’ve done?

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Chris

I refitted the old ign switch- still the same. “GEN” lightwon’t go out unless I disconnect the battery.

It’s a ’69 Skylark 2 Dr Htp, 350 4 bbl, A/C & tiltcolumn. All was well until I started digging into this infernal steeringcolumn! L

Last edited:
Well, start at the most obvious place first. Unplug the column connector and see what happens. This will narrow down the area where the problem is.

Also, has the car had any electrical modifications where a PO could have gone wrong? For example, sound system, alarm, alternator upgrade, etc.

Ray

Last edited:
Well, start at the most obvious place first. Unplug the column connector and see what happens. This will narrow down the area where the problem is.

Also, has the car had any electrical modifications where a PO could have gone wrong? For example, sound system, alarm, alternator upgrade, etc.

Ray

No mods, all was well 4 weeks ago.

Well it's now intermitant. Comes & goes. Off to the auto sparky, me thinks. Thank you again for your advice.

Cheers,

Chris

Back