From Dynaflow to T5

Hello!
I'm working on a Buick 8 320 1941 engine...
I need to install a manual transmission, so I d need a Flywheel, Bell-housing and clutch.
Any tips or recommendations on what parts I can use from other Buick engines or where to get them?
I appreciate any lead on that.
Thanks

Attachments

firstofeight

Welcome.
May we see pictures of the sides of the engine? I believe , from what I see, this is other than a '41 engine.

Thanks
Ben

firstofeight

OK. The picture clearly shows a '48 or later engine. The engine # shows it to be a '49. 1949 320 engines started with 5,220,. 1950 started with 5,653. Your # 5,453 is after the '49 start, before the '50 start. Therefore a 1949.

The engine is a Dynaflow engine as evidenced by the large center hole in the crank. There are adapters for that to install a pilot bearing. I have read the flywheel may need redrilled as the mounting holes are different. I cannot confirm that. I think any standard transmission flywheel housing, for a 320, back to 1940 will work. I don't know if the smaller series housing will work.

Good luck.

Ben

From my experience with the (smaller) 263 Buick I-8, your best bet is to start with a crankshaft, flywheel, and bell housing from a 320. (On the 263, there is no way to mount a Buick flywheel on a crankshaft from a dynaflow engine without extensive (and expensive) machine work. The correct crankshaft for a '49 320 is part no. 1321354, and may be a challenge to locate.

firstofeight

From my experience with the (smaller) 263 Buick I-8, your best bet is to start with a crankshaft, flywheel, and bell housing from a 320. (On the 263, there is no way to mount a Buick flywheel on a crankshaft from a dynaflow engine without extensive (and expensive) machine work. The correct crankshaft for a '49 320 is part no. 1321354, and may be a challenge to locate.
A 320 crank will not fit a 263! It is about 6 inches longer.

Ben

The Bensten conversions do not require a pilot bearing in the crankshaft. They place an adapter on the crankshaft to the flywheel, the adapter carries the pilot bearing.