Found a 1941 Speical !

Recently we had a family party in Downeyville, California in the mountain foothills. Its a 1941 Buick Speical. Supposedly it ran when it was driven in last year. Supposedly theres been offers made on it but people always thought the guy wants too much for the car. But what people want in the town may be ok for me here in the Greater San Francisco area. My dad has taken a liking to the car and I was wondering if theres any resources on it. Parts, Motor, Body ect for the Speical. Its a prewar model. I didnt know the year so I had to ask at the gas station there where its sitting now. Its a good 4 hours from here so id have to have it towed back to the San Francisco area. The oldest car ive ever had was my current 1962 Skylark so I pretty know nothing about these older Buicks. Any help would be appricated. Thanks ~ Scott

41Buick001.png

41Buick003.png

41Buick002.png

Last edited:
looks like a straight body, which is where most of the cost is. looks like its complete, with all the chrome and stainless. Can expect to chrome the potmetal so ♠thats not so cheap. If its truly an original unmodified car and not a rustbucket,then its a good prospect. they are good solid cars and can be driven most anywhere, and that one looks good from here but its what is underneath that will tell the tale. Its also a popular body style [fastback].If it ran thats a good sign, most mechanical parts are available,either new rebuilt or used, all the glass is flat so that can be replaced and mostly♠ normal tools are used on these oldies. Also I believe that body style lasted till 1949 so thats good too. just my cents worth.

Last edited:
For example, if you look at the pics I posted, you can see a trim piece thats on the passenger side, however the piece along the drivers side is missing. Thats really the only body trim thats gone. Where would I fond something like that ? 41 Buicks arent exactly in your local wrecking yard. S far as the rest of the body, it looks like its never been wrecked and theres no cancer on it. I was told it ran a year ago when it was parked so it may still have hope mechanically. I am trying to arrange to go up there to take a better closer loook at the car. Bringing a battery, some gas and some other fluids to see if the car even fires up. I just dont have resources if I tow the car home.

There is an outfit here close to me that rechromes , dont know what they charge but they are in Stockton about a half hour from here.

41 special

'it ran a year ago, driven in', thats a good omen. the rocker side molding is missing, well thats kind of a problem, but odds are you would find one as 41's had a full year of production and lots of Specials were produced, also its on he driver side those are the ones that are usually not missing or damaged, so any 41 guys out there lets hear any info on that model part. If its a rust bucket you should be able to see it and repairs, and if it starts to look like it is then back off. the pic doesnt show the grille, is it all there and undamaged? 41;s had a big beautiful potmetal grille, and they usually are pitted, but if its not cracked its hopefully repairable.Most of the brightwork is stainless which is repairable. it looks good from here, I like that model. Oh I would suggest that you trailer or have it towed, my experiences with driving these oldies without really knowing its condition is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Nice 1942 buick

That is a beatiful find I would for sure get it ,but I would have to say with that buldge on the door it is a 1942 model (last of them before the war got heavy) .Maybe it has military ties .Good luck with that she is a sweet one .

Funny you should say that. I was at a party a few weeks ago and showing pics of the car to a few people. One man who IS a WW2 vet says its a 1942 model. The flared fenders that mold into the doors I guess .... anyways I was told by an 88 year old man that it is a 42 model probably sold in 1941 before we got involved in the war and car production stopped. Ive called back and asked again about it. I was told the owner of the gas station hasnt been able to reach the Buick's owner yet. Im going to pursue this.

Parts thought ?

I would just keep in mind when buying front end parts (fenders ,doors ,chrome ,etc.) that it is a 42 , most else will end up being the same .I do love it ,same condition as mine when I bought it around 2000 .It hasn't changed much - they last a long time when you don't drive then in the winter .

Back