Exhaust Manifold Sealing

55Spcl

A friend of mine asked me to install a new exhaust manifold gasket in his '48 Super, as his old one had developed a leak. When I removed the manifold, I saw counter-bores in both the head & manifold bores, which looks a lot like a mid-30's Chevy I have and which has sleeves that fit into the counter-bores to aid in sealing. My question is, did Buick use sleeves between the exhaust manifold & head ports, similar to what was used on Chevys or was the gasket alone sufficient?

My Buick experience has been in the nailhead era and I don't have any info on the straight eights. Thanks for any help you can provide.
-Bob

The straight eight had spring steel rings that held the intake in place. The exhaust manifold was free to move because of the heat generated by the exhaust gases. This maintained the proper positioning of the whole assembly.The 48 used a gasket that had an asbestos center with a metal cover. The later engines used steel gaskets for the intake, and the exhaust was metal to metal.

Thanks, Joe T. I appreciate you shaking the cobwebs out of what little mind I have left. I was thinking the sleeves were in the exhaust, but you're ab-so-lute-ly 100% correct, they were in the intake manifold. Chalk another one up to old age & poor memory!
Thanks for youe reply.
-Bob

Back