Exhaust Manifold Gaskets for a 401 Nailhead?

PHAWK33

Once again, I am reaching out to the Community to elicit opinions, advice, or personal experiences with the subject:
  • I have heard that Exhaust Manifold Gaskets are NOT to be used with factory cast iron manifolds because it will lead to cracked manifolds. Is this true?
  • Did the Factory not use those gaskets?
  • Would this practice lead to exhaust leaks at the junctions?
Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Joe

Joe, As I understand it, there were no exhaust manifold gaskets on Nailhead. The surfaces were milled perfectly flat and true at the factory and assembled without gaskets. Also, the Chassis service manuals make no mention of gaskets for reassembly of the exhaust manifolds, but they do discuss reinstalling the exhaust bolt retainers after torqueing the bolts to 10-15 pounds. After saying all of that, I have never seen a Nailhead without exhaust gaskets. I think they all warped over time with age and heat cycles leading to leaks. Most shops and owners corrected that with gaskets. None of the engines with gaskets I have pulled apart or seen in junkyards had any cracks in the manifolds. I would suggest that cracks are more likely in manifolds with leaks that are left unaddressed by gaskets.

I believe most cracked exhausts manifolds result from using gaskets, then improperly over torqueing them. The over torque is because they are leaking, and the leaking is because they are not flat enough to seal even with a gasket.

I have no experience on nailhead exhaust manifold gaskets yet. I had lots of trouble with straight eight exhaust manifold gaskets. They would move and start leaking after about 300 miles and also cracking manifolds with gaskets. The 1952 Buick shop manual recommends a mixture of graphite and 90 wt. gear oil mixed to a consistency that it will not run in a vertical position when spread. It is messy but I have used it and my exhaust leaks were cured. I got my graphite at Ace Hardware.

Back