engine starting

cquisuila

Hello

I bought recently a riviera 1966.
I try to move the engine by turning the crankshaft bolt but I can't.

Do you think that the starter can cause this problem ?
I retried the sparks, i specify.
AND i put gas oil in spark plug hole.

Must i drain oil and put new oil to improve the situation ?

Can you help me or give me severals solutions if you have.

.....Excuse me for my poor english < i'm a french man :)

If the motor does not turn from the crank pulley, I think you will be best to pull it and disassemble it. It is probably seized be one of several ways. Perhaps simply rust in one or more cylinders, or perhaps from previous driving mishaps. You can pull the starter first if you like to see if it was seized and engaged, but it is highly unlikely.

Thank you, Bob, for your quick answer !🙂

To turn from the crankpulley it is hard with the 7.0 liters V8.

I can't quite remember, but to turn an an assembled engine on a test stand without alternators etc., it shouldn't take more than something like about 25-28 lbs of torque.
How long, and under what conditions has the car sat?

If I was going to try to start a long sitting engine, I would prime the oiling system first. This would require a priming system of some kind, most often the type running the oil pump through the distributor drive, or there are air or pump operated ones that can be plumbed in to an oil line access near the pump. Fresh oil, pull the valve covers, prime until oil is observed running on a couple of rocker arms, then turn the motor slowly until oil has run out on all the rockers.

1st. thing to do is remove ALL the spark plug wires. Next loosen, DO NOT REMOVE, ALL the spark plugs. Next blow compressed air to rid the plug area of any debris/dirt that MAY have accumulated over the past 7 years. Next buy an Endoscope model number HD720P. Do a google search for endoscope. They are ONLY $20.00 or less. Once it arrives put the probe into the cylinder & look into each one. This will tell you the condition of the cylinder WITHOUT pulling the engine apart. IF it's not rusted too badly you could mix up some ATF (dex111) & Acetone & let it sit for a few days. Put the spark plugs back finger tight while waiting. Don't want anymore condensation or other getting into the cylinder.
Then you could report back, best with pics, & someone can advise further action.

Tom T.

1st. thing to do is remove ALL the spark plug wires. Next loosen, DO NOT REMOVE, ALL the spark plugs. Next blow compressed air to rid the plug area of any debris/dirt that MAY have accumulated over the past 7 years. Next buy an Endoscope model number HD720P. Do a google search for endoscope. They are ONLY $20.00 or less. Once it arrives put the probe into the cylinder & look into each one. This will tell you the condition of the cylinder WITHOUT pulling the engine apart. IF it's not rusted too badly you could mix up some ATF (dex111) & Acetone & let it sit for a few days. Put the spark plugs back finger tight while waiting. Don't want anymore condensation or other getting into the cylinder.
Then you could report back, best with pics, & someone can advise further action.

Tom, is Endoscope the brand name or are you using it generically?

Thanks
Ben

ok Ben
great !

i put gas oil in sit

i put the endoscopic but it is difficult to see something > i go to see one more time:)

An Endoscope is a generically available in a variety of diff. brands. It needs to be hooked/loaded up to a laptop, best, so you can take it out to the vehicle your working on. The one I have comes with about 10 feet of wire & at the end it has 6-7 LEDs that you can ajust the intensity of with a dial built into the wire. It ALSO comes with tools to help retrive parts/pieces that may have fallen down. It's EVEN waterproof to a certain depth.
I gave the part number of mine to help along with the search.
It also comes, I think, in 50-100 ft. in lengths, BUT the longer the wire the less clarity there is.
I just used it recently when I did a timing chain & gears on a '69 Pontiac GTO 400. I drained the oil & put the scope inside the oil pan from the front to see IF there were any bits of plastic teeth surrounding/in the oil pick-up screen as I know the timing chain had been replaced at some point in time because it had a steel gear for the cam drive. Originally the cam gears were a plastic. It was loaded with ALL the plastic teeth that had broken off the original gear. The customer commented that his "oil pressure was always good".
Yeah the pressure MAY be OK BUT it cuts down on the volume which is ALSO as important as pressure because the volume is ALSO what keeps the engine internals cool by the amount of oil that can circulate.

Tom T.

Back