engine kit

iddie makel

Hello again,
I need your thoughts re: buying an engine kit.I have a Kanter catalog,but they don't have pistons for the '55 special with manual transmission.I talked to Egge and they have everything,but want an arm and a leg.Have any of you guys purchased kits?I also screwed up and haven't gotten the pistons out yet or the camshaft.I guess I'll be renting a ridge reamer.I am not going to reuse any of the pistons and was hoping I could get them out from the bottom ,but no luck.When you find some time,I would appreciate your thoughts.As always thanks in advance to all who respond.
iddie

Hi Iddie:
Have you settled on that particular engine? I guess that would be my starting point. If so, that's great, Go with the outfit that you feel might have the best support in parts avalability and maybe tech help (if you're like me, and need all the help you can get...).

On the other hand, on one of your earlier threads someone suggested using a 401 -- and you might have the look of an original engine (if that's imortant to you) while gaining some extra power. That would seem a good, practical alternative if you want to keep things looking original. Cost to rebuild might be pretty close, except for the aquisition of the 401.

It comes down to your own personal preference. I'd be tempted to go with a 455 crate engine, but that's just me... ;)

cheers--
Steve

Hello Steve,
Thanks for responding.I haven't settled on changing any thing yet,but I am getting cold feet the further I tear this block down.I really haven't done this before.I'm beginning to think that it might be in my best interest to just rebuild the 264 and use this time around as a learning experience.
iddie

Iddie,
I would like to give you one bit of advice. Do NOT use a ridge reamer. I have seen too many blocks ruined by those tools. Beleive me, the pistons will come out ok without removing the ridge. You might have to get a long wooden dowel to use to push them out from below, but they will come out.
By the way, my experience has been that the excellent customer service you will get from Egge far outweighs the cost difference. I have only used Kanter acouple of times as a last resort and have always ended up with a bad taste, and beleive me I am very easy to please.

Hello Billk,
Thanks for the reponse.Thanks again for the advice,and I accept it and will not use a ridge reamer.Your endorsement of Egge is going to make me take another look in my piggy bank.This morning I didn't see too many arms & legs,just a few fingers and wrists.
iddie

Iddie
I believe the only difference in standard shift pistons is they are lower compression ( 7.6 to 1 )than Dynaflow cars(8.9 to 1 for 2 barrel, 9.5 to 1 for 4 barrel ). You should be able to use Dynaflow pistons. I think the 2 and 4 barrel compression difference is from head gasket but not possitive. The late 55/56 pistons also have bigger valve relief than early 55.
Judd

Hello Judd,
Thanks for the information.I'm going to try to find a machine shop tomorrow so they can tell me what size piston to buy.I think I'm going to make this project a rebuild of the 264.Next time,after I've gotten my feet wet,I may get up the nerve to try something different.
iddie

Back