Electrix?

Duco55

Hi Guys,
Maybe somebody can give me a hand.? I am working on the wiring and have a problem. I am working with the diagram (series40), but do not understand the part around the cranking motor and the solenoid. ( see picture)
My set up is simple. From BAT on generator to AM meter and ignitionswitch. and from the IGN switch directly to coil and starter switch ( by hand, not via accelerator).

On the cranking motor the solenoid has 3 terminals. 1 connected to the motor (by copper), a small one and a larger one. I do no understand this in relation to the drawing with terminals 1 to 4.
Also: on the drawing the relay and the solenoid seem to be different?

My plan was to connect battery Plus to the other larger terminal of the solenoid, connect this terminal also to the charge indicator (am meter) (minus), andconne the starter to the sale terminal. Therewith trusting
that the other connection is within the solenoid. BUt this couldbe completly wrong

I looked around the internet but could not find good photos or other details.

Any help much appreciated.
Anybody?

Thanks in advance

Duco
PS. very difficult to post. Typing is not easy.I have to press every letter separatly??

Attachments

• uitsnede elek schema .jpg
    uitsnede elek schema .jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 12
  • solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 8
PS. very difficult to post. Typing is not easy.I have to press every letter separatly??

are you on a smartphone? yes, every letter must be entered separately. on a computer, it's normal typing.

you trimmed off quite a bit of the diagram. here is the 1952 shop manual, Starter System section:
http://www.teambuick.com/reference/library/52_shop/files/10-e.php

i see that this a negative ground car. that's the far left line on the solenoid with an arrow pointing at the dashed line between the battery and starting motor. that is NOT actually a cable / wire, it's simply the electrical connection created by bolting the solenoid/starter to the engine block.

this is probably what's confusing you. on an electrical circuit, it's shown as a '4th conductor' but the conductor is actually just the ground created by the connection from the frame to the engine.

you CAN run a discrete ground cable directly to the starter from the negative battery terminal but many people don't bother. you would attach it to one of the mounting bolts holding the starter onto the block.

you will have a large gauge cable run directly from the positive terminal of the battery to the solenoid, the far left post in your pic.

there will be another fairly thick cable attached to the same terminal on the solenoid which is the + feed for the rest of the electrics on the car.

then you've got the relay feed from your gas pedal / ign switch that engages the solenoid, that goes to the top terminal. that's three cables total.

the bottom right post that already has that thick copper strap on it is the direct feed to the starter motor, you will NOT attach anything to that post. IF you are trouble shooting for a bad solenoid you can manually jump across the two bottom posts and see if the starter kicks over. be prepared for a very large spark and for part of your jumper ( many use an old screw driver ) to get melted doing this. also make sure the car is Park or Neutral.

Thanks Bob,

I am not on a Iphone but on a normal desktop. Today again it seems difficult. I only have this probem here.

Thanks for our answer. It really helps. I seem to have missed that section. The only issue that is left is the elimination the relay.

As I do not have the same set up with the acc switch. I planned to have a starter button between ign switch (so not diretly from the positive feed ) and the small terminal on the solenoid.
But maybe a relay should be used (?) with the pressbutton only replacing the accelerator switch.

I will restudy the doc's

Met vriendelijke groet
Duco

À related question
Should the starter push button connect the solenoid to positive ie get current from the ignition switch? Or does the switch need to connect the small solenoid terminal to ground?
The solenoid has both available.
in many other drawings the solenoid Sems to get connected to ground, but the buick diagram Sems to suggestie otherwise.
It is easy to test, but if Somebody knows?
Met vriendelijke groet
Duco

Back