Electric choke?

'51 Special

I couldn't find any existing thread, so I though I would start one.

My '51 Special 263 lacks an exhaust manifold valve. I cut it out of the way after I spent many hours unsuccessfully trying to free the thing. Well, that may work in the summer, but not here (North Dakota) and not now (December). Yesterday I took it out of a warm (65 degrees) garage into minus 10 degrees outside air. I hadn't driven a block before it was running poorly, and by the time I was two miles down the road it was running like you would expect of a warm engine with the choke closed. And the ambient air temp was low enough to keep it closed, even when parked at idle.
I'm running a stock Stromberg AAUVB-267 carb, and a 6 volt system, also stock.
(1) Does anyone think an electric choke conversion is a good idea?
(2) Does anyone know who might make a usable conversion for this carb?
(3) Does anyone think I've just done a poor job of adjusting the choke by leaving it on spec?
'51 Special

I would suggest you to build a "pre warm Hose" between Air cleaner Intake to Exhaust Manifold, so that the Engine can suck in Warm Air like the newer Cars it have. With the Choke you must have a Special look to the harmonic between the Choke Flap and the fast Idle. If the Car is cold let the Engine run with the normal fast Idle like 1200 revs then adjust the Chocke Flap ( for more or less Air ) that the Engine runs free and smooth at this rev.

I couldn't find any existing thread, so I though I would start one.

My '51 Special 263 lacks an exhaust manifold valve. I cut it out of the way after I spent many hours unsuccessfully trying to free the thing. Well, that may work in the summer, but not here (North Dakota) and not now (December). Yesterday I took it out of a warm (65 degrees) garage into minus 10 degrees outside air. I hadn't driven a block before it was running poorly, and by the time I was two miles down the road it was running like you would expect of a warm engine with the choke closed. And the ambient air temp was low enough to keep it closed, even when parked at idle.
I'm running a stock Stromberg AAUVB-267 carb, and a 6 volt system, also stock.
(1) Does anyone think an electric choke conversion is a good idea?
(2) Does anyone know who might make a usable conversion for this carb?
(3) Does anyone think I've just done a poor job of adjusting the choke by leaving it on spec?
'51 Special

(1) Yes
(2) ?
(3) No

I would suggest you to build a "pre warm Hose" between Air cleaner Intake to Exhaust Manifold, so that the Engine can suck in Warm Air like the newer Cars it have. .

This might help in cold weather. In warmer temps you might need a thermostatic control on the hot air induction.

Thanks, guys.
I have been traveling, and have waited too long to report back. (1) No one currently makes a 6-volt electric choke intended to fit the Stromberg, or any other US made auto. Electric chokes for US makes are available only for 12-volt applications. (2) Decades ago I owned 1965 type 3 VW (square back) with dual Solex carbs and electric chokes. I just checked and replacement 6-volt choke units are available from European sources for about 45 Euros + shipping. Too pricey for an experiment. (3) Building a set-up to warm the air going to the carb would be challenging as I expect to retain the stock air cleaner.
If I do anything (sub-zero drives can be avoided), it makes most sense to me to use a hand choke.
'51 Special

Back