ECM 75 Buick Electra

K

Knight

G'day,

Not sure if you can help ..but your site is full of info.

I have a 75 2 door Buick Electra 455

Is in original condition ....120,000 mls

I think this car has ECM on it....but lots of hoses etc have been removed blocked off etc.

I'm sure the senors arn't working and there is no catalytic convertor anymore.

Question is : 1. Do I have to have ECM hooked up for timing etc.

2. If so can you advise the minium I need

3. Can I disconnect same and how?

I hope thats enough info...I tried to keep it short.

Thankyou :)

Knight

The 455 is not a computer controlled car.

No doubt that some of those cars use oodles of vacuum lines, a good service manual will have a diagram. I bet that a good service manual will have information on the vacuum hose routing.

The problem with disconnecting vacuum hoses is that each of them was put there for a reason, so you can't just disconnct them randomly. Granted, there are some that can be diconnected/blocked with minimal effects, but some will cause drivability problems.

Unless you are going to try to re-configure the engine (which requires an understanding of each vacuum line and why it was put there), I would try to find out where they all went and reconnect the hoses. Once you do that, you might find some of the devices that don't work (i.e. vacuum switches, etc.)- then they'll have to be replaced. It is kinda a pain, but I think you'll be happy with the results- those cars drove very nicely when they were functioning properly.

I know that the '74 cars did not use Catalytic Convertors, and I don't think there was one in '75 either.

After you get the vacuum hoses back there they belong, a basic tune-up (set timing, idle mixture, etc.) will get that car to run like a champ.

Alternatively you could just pull the carb and toss it in favor of a new aftermarket carb- you won't get better results than the factory arrangement, but it might be simplified (i.e. fewer vacuum lines etc.). For a location you only give "USA", but if you are in California this may be a problem because of the strict smog requirements.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

-Bob Cunningham

Thanks mate ..

I will stick to my old carb and am getting a 75 chassis manual in the mail on wed.

banana.gif

Thanks again

Back