early nailhead swap

I have a 1954 Buick Special with a 264, bought a '61 401 to swap but now understand it's not a direct bolt in, any ideas or thoughts? Thanks, Brian

I put a 401 in my 1955 Buick and it is covered with pictures on my blog which is located on this site. Just look for the blog on updating Toby. It is not an easy task but very worth while however I don't know if you can use the Dynaflow from your 56 as I changed to a Turbo 400 in mine.

Hopefully you also got the trans. that goes along with the '61/401. Swap bell housings & torque converters from the '61 to the '54 & you should be good to go. Even better would be to change the '61 DynaFlow to torque tube end & have a much better trans. with a variable pitch torque converter. Hopefully the car this stuff came out of is still available for linkages that are needed for the trans. Strip the rubber from the '61 mounts on the engine of the '61 & bolt the engine brackets from the '54 on. That takes care of the mounts. Everything else is just about a bolt-in.

Tom T.

Early nailhead

t
Hopefully you also got the trans. that goes along with the '61/401. Swap bell housings & torque converters from the '61 to the '54 & you should be good to go. Even better would be to change the '61 DynaFlow to torque tube end & have a much better trans. with a variable pitch torque converter. Hopefully the car this stuff came out of is still available for linkages that are needed for the trans. Strip the rubber from the '61 mounts on the engine of the '61 & bolt the engine brackets from the '54 on. That takes care of the mounts. Everything else is just about a bolt-in.

Tom T.
thanks Tom, is it okay to call you to pick your brain? I promise to buy stuff. Thanks, Brian

Back