Dynaflow Questions

:waving: Hey Fellow Members.

I just drained the Dynaflow Transmission Fluid.
I removed and cleaned the Pan. I also Removed the Flywheel Cover
turned the engine and removed the Two Drain plups to empty the Torque Converter.

The Manaual says to remove the Screen and Clean it. (Which it Does need Badly, but they don't explain how to perform this procedure. :confused:

Questions Are.
1) How do your remove the screen and should I clean it with something like "Brake Wash

2) Does the flywheel cover require a Gasket.

3) What is the best tool to used to remove old Gaskets?

Thanking You in advance for your Valued Experience and Cooperation

Regards,:beers:

Tom Gallagher :shield:

1) Brakleen or Carb. cleaner, then blow out with compressed air
2) No
3) Elbow grease & a scraper. You could also use a propane torch to heat up the gasket or a wire brush on a drill.

Dynaflows

:waving: Hey Tom

Thanks for the Info. :thumbsup:

Can I clean it off with the Screen in Place?

or do I have to remove it.

IF so, How do I go about removing it?:confused:

Thanks Again

Highest regards. :beers:

Tom, Is your screen attached to the oil pan? If not, I believe there's one bolt holding it to the valve assembly. I buy gallons of Chemtool to clean small parts. Its available at most Auto parts stores and even has a little basket inside to keep your delicate hands from getting eaten up. For gaskets, you can buy a special gasket scraper from Autozone etc. or a razor blade type from any hardware store.

:waving: Great Balls of Fire

How you doin'

Thank's for the Tips :thumbsup:

I was able to get the gaskets off with an assortment of scrapers and for the tight spaces I used a sharpened 1/4" wood chisel. Now I just have to clean up the area with one of those scoth-brite fibre pads.

The screen for the Dynaflow is just suspended. God only know how it's attached. The Manual says remove, but it doesn't tell you how :confused:

I don't want to mess with it and break something :angry:

I cleaned it up some (but not to my satisfacton) using brake clean and compressed air.

The screen for the oil has a goose neck metal housing.

I did the same with that and got the same results :sad:

Tom Gallagher

Tom, I'm doin' just fine thanks!!:shifter:

There should be a triangular(?) plate just above the screen that the screen tube goes through. It has one bolt (I can't remember if its hex or socket head). Just remove that one bolt and the whole screen should come out. There's an O-ring around the tube.

Mark

Dynaflow

Tom:
My transmission man who rebuilds Dynaflows says to add a quart of regular 30W motor oil to the trans when filling it. Today's AT fluid doen not have any lubricating qualities to it and the quart of motor oil will suffice for that.
If you want more info you can call him: Jim Moore, (209) 358-0091. He'll be glad to answer any questions you have.
Steve

30W huh? im rebuilding my dynaflow and might try that out. my dad told me to put a lil 40W in it. ill call your guy to make sure. cuz i put all new and rebuilt parts into my 49 dynaflow, i want it to have the best life it can...

Dynaflow Filter

:waving: Hey Mark (Great Balls of Fire)

Mark you were RIGHT on Target.:thumbsup:

The 2 nuts release the spring loaded base and the filter came right off.

Now I can clean it out completely:bana:

Thanks again for the TIP :thumbsup:

This one's for You:beers:

Regards,

Dynaflow Trans Fluid

:waving: Hey Steve (Airy Cat)

Thanks for the tip about adding the W30 :thumbsup:

I plan on dumping in a quart of Rotella since it contains zinc for added lubrication.

Got to keep those 50 year old parts moving about freely.:car:

Surprisingly the old fluid wasn't too, too bad. It was clean without any burnt smell. Filter was pretty cruddy. Not half as bad as the oil filter. the Oil pump screen and housing was a complete mess. ALL gunked up sludge.:eek:

I have to remove it clean it up and blow it out.

Last edited:
Airy Cat said:
Tom:
My transmission man who rebuilds Dynaflows says to add a quart of regular 30W motor oil to the trans when filling it. Today's AT fluid doen not have any lubricating qualities to it and the quart of motor oil will suffice for that.
If you want more info you can call him: Jim Moore, (209) 358-0091. He'll be glad to answer any questions you have.
Steve

Would this be damaging to the dynaflow? And what about newer synthetic trans fluid? I've heard that synthetic fluid are more prone to leak because of their superior slippierness. And if you have any leaking locations, the fluid more easily soaks through any seals. Is this a myth?

i now use synthetics on all my engines, thinking that the little extra money might save more money in engine or trans repairs later.

I just saw this thread, and I was wondering if anyone ever determined if using synthetic ATF in the Dynaflow is OK? Sounds like a good idea, as long as it's compatible with the Dynaflow...

Dynaflow

It is an interesting idea.

I am a big fan of synthic oils.

In newer vehicles it work just great.

In older cars such as ours, I just do know.:confused:

It has a lot to do with the seals.

Dynaflows are notorious leakers to begin with and I would imagine that synthetics would compound the problem.

I wonder if there is a Buick Team member who has tried this?

I wish they would come out and relate their experience.

Regards,

Tom, long time no talk to:jeez: How is your spring going? I'm still working on the car, finally found some pistons and am reasembelling finally:hurray: I'm goiing to check and reseal the tranny and was wondering if you did put the 30 weight oil in yours when you redid it? Hope all is well in your neck of the woods and the flowers are blooming. Happy :shifter: Bill

Tom, long time no talk to:jeez: How is your spring going? I'm still working on the car, finally found some pistons and am reasembelling finally:hurray: I'm goiing to check and reseal the tranny and was wondering if you did put the 30 weight oil in yours when you redid it? Hope all is well in your neck of the woods and the flowers are blooming. Happy :shifter: Bill
tttttttttt

Dynaflow

Hi Bill,

Sorry it took so long to respond. I had a little setback physically.

I removed my pan and dumped all the tranny fluid. Cleaned everything out filter screen and i'm in the process of re-installing the pan with a new gasket.

I plan on dumping in a quart of 30 weight to HELP in dynaflow "slip slide away"

It has seemed to work well for others. Nothing to loose. everything to gain

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

Tom, I hope everything is ok:thumbsup: Thanks so much for the reply, I thought maybe you didn't see it. I'm going to reseal the tranny the end of this week and hopefully get the running gear back in next week:hurray: I thought I would try the 30 w to see if it would help so thanks for the confidence builder. I'm going to try to post some picts sooon if I can figure it out:clonk: Talk to you soon, Bill:beers:

Hey Bill.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how you make out.

The idea of adding a quart of oil has to do with the difference in the "chemical make-up" of tramsission fluid over the course of 50 years.

Between then and now. One has to adapt to try to duplicate the right solution.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

Synthetic oils in older engines/trannies

Hi everybody,

from the oil manufacturer's side, one must know that synthetic oils contain some aggressive detergents. For older engines that means that if you just pour it into your engine without cleaning and re-sealing in advance, you might face quite a number of oil leaks afterwards, 'cause the detergents remove residue decades old that clogged actual oil leaks at the gaskets and made the engine oil-tight.

Best regards
Kindacool

Back