Drive shaft removal?!?

Have the engine and transmission all disconnected and ready to pull out, but I can't figure out how to remove the drive shaft. Are those roll pins in these U-joints?

1969 skylark 350 2bbl

Unbolt the rear U joint and get a big screw driver or a small bar behind in and "force" the joint out of the saddle on the differential yoke. The DS should move forward about 1/2", and drop out of the saddle. DO NOT REMOVE THE BEARING CAPS! Unless you are going to replace the joint. Theres about 50 needle rollers in each one.

Now you can pull the front out of the transmission spline. Its probably gummed up there so have the big screw driver ready up there as well. Bill

z7.jpg

z58.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! I figured it out earlier today and forgot to post an update. Shes out and the engine is ready to be removed, hopefully the next couple days. Now I'm pulling the posi from the donor rear end to swap out next.

Those "pins" are nylon. Factory installed has grooves machined in caps abd yokes. After assembly, liquified nylon is forced in one side and out the other and allowed to cool. When replacing ujoints, new ones will have "C clips" that lock against machined surfaces on inside of yokes.
The reason for having to pry out the rear yoke is that the rear end moves forward, in relation to the transmission, when it drops down. You can see this if you will take and move the rearend into normal position while the car is raised.

Engine and trans out yet? I shouldve mentioned to install a plastic tail shaft plug or drain the trans oil before the lift. You have a giant mess on the floor. Bill

Back